Department at a Glance
Data is as of Fall 2018, unless indicated otherwise.
The Department has 19 full-time faculty, 15 of whom are tenured or tenure-track. Our faculty include 2 IEEE Fellows, an ACM Distinguished Speaker, and the first state-endowed chair of excellence in computer science in Tennessee.
Faculty have been recognized extensively for their accomplishments. The awards conferred on individual faculty have included the Willard R. Sparks Eminent Faculty Award, Dunavant Professorship, Thomas W. Briggs Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Arts and Sciences Meritorious Faculty Award, and Early Career Research Award.
The Department is involved in two major national research initiatives: the MD2K Center of Excellence with Cornell, Georgia Tech, University of Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, University of Utah, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UMass Amherst, and West Virginia, along with Open mHealth; and Named Data Networking: Next-Phase with Colorado State, University of Arizona, UCLA, UCSD, UIUC, University of Michigan, and Washington University.
With millions in active grants, we have the highest per-capita research funding of any department on campus. We were recently ranked 55th among nationwide CS departments in federally funded research expenditures.
Interdisciplinary Institutes and Centers
- Center for Information Assurance
We are designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education and Research (CAE-CDE, CAE-R) by the NSA/DHS.
- Institute for Intelligent Systems
- Systems Testing Excellence Program
Our faculty and students publish high-quality research in multiple areas of Computer Science. In 2014, they published 34 conference papers, 11 journal papers, and 6 books/book chapters.
Our faculty and students have published in top-tier venues in:
- Mobile Computing: ACM MobiCom, ACM UbiComp, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Mobile Computing
- Networking: IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE INFOCOM
- Sensors: ACM SenSys, ACM/IEEE IPSN, ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks
- Bioinformatics: BMC Genomics, BMC Bioinformatics, ACM BCB
- Human-Computer Interaction: ACM CHI, ACM UbiComp
- Evolutionary Computing: ACM GECCO
- Software Engineering: ACM/IEEE ICSE, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, ACM Transactions on Software Engineering and Methodology
- Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence: AAAI, NIPS, ECML
- Computational Linguistics: ACL, COLING
- Theory: STOC, FOCS, SICOMP, SODA, SoCG, CCC, ITCS, ICALP, PODS