Study Abroad

The University of Memphis has a number of study abroad programs offered during the academic year, some through the International Student Exchange program, and other programs as listed on the Study Abroad web site. If our university is sponsoring the study abroad program, students may apply for financial aid to cover expenses. Student Aid budgets are adjusted to offset the added program expenses. If you are interested in a study abroad program, you should contact the International Programs Office directly at 901-678-2814. If you find out about a study abroad program through your academic department, you should first contact the International Programs Office to make sure that they are aware of the program and that it is an approved program offered by The University of Memphis.

There are a number of approved study abroad programs offered during the summer months. If you receive aid during the academic year (i.e. fall and spring), our office would have to consider what aid eligibility you may have remaining for the summer. If you are interested in a study abroad program for the summer, you should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), if you have not already applied for the academic year.  Example: For summer 2024, you must complete the 2023-2024 FAFSA.  Otherwise, complete a Summer Request Form. You should indicate the particular study abroad program at the top of the Summer Request Form.

If you must cover costs for a particular study abroad program before the standard fee payment deadline, you should discuss your options with the Student Financial Aid Office.

To receive financial aid for any Study Abroad program (either during the academic year or summer), you must:

  • be enrolled at least half-time. Law students are considered half-time during the summer ONLY with 3 law credit hours.
  • have a Transfer Credit Request form on file with the Admissions Office
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • be making satisfactory academic progress (according to our policy)
  • not be in default on any student loan or owe a repayment on any grant
  • have remaining aid eligibility (especially as it applies to summer)

Students MUST transfer credits from their study abroad program back in a timely manner. Students who do not have foreign transcripts back to the University of Memphis within 2 semesters will have a graduation hold placed on their record.

If you receive the HOPE Scholarship, please keep in mind that you are required to have all final transcripts sent to the school immediately after the semester ends. Your HOPE Scholarship will be cancelled for the upcoming semester and placed on hold until all final transcripts are received and evaluated for continuing eligibility.

You may review the Study Abroad Office page for information on funding and Study Abroad scholarships.

Consortium Agreements

Occasionally students express a desire to study at another accredited American university. If you encounter a study abroad program that is not sponsored by our university, but is sponsored by another accredited American university, then you may still be able to receive financial aid to cover the costs. If you are interested in studying at another American university (even though you will be receiving your degree here), then your academic advisor must give written approval (via a Transfer Credit Request form) for you to take these classes. If you are a LAW student, the Dean of the Law School must give written approval for you to study at another American university.

Once the necessary approval is given, a consortium agreement can be set up between the home institution (i.e. The University of Memphis) and the host institution (i.e. the other American university) that is sponsoring the program. The consortium agreement covers basic federal guidelines and specifies what aid you will be receiving to cover the costs for the program. The host institution also provides cost and budget information to the home institution. The agreement is signed by both institutions.

FINAL WORD OF CAUTION:  To be eligible to participate in a consortium agreement it is your responsibility to ensure that all paperwork has been properly completed and submitted PRIOR to the end of the drop/add period of the intended semester.

If you have any questions about Financial Aid as it relates to Study Abroad and consortium agreements,  please submit a TigerHelp request for Financial Aid.