Tinnitus/Ringing in the Ears
- Patients receive a comprehensive audiological evaluations to determine degree and type of hearing loss.
- Patients complete questionnaires which enable us to determine what the patients are experiencing and how debilitating the tinnitus is.
- Further assessment is done in an attempt to match pitch and loudness of patient’s tinnitus and to determine if tinnitus can be masked by using more comfortable sounds.
- Patients with tinnitus and hearing loss have the option of receiving hearing aids with tinnitus masking feature for daily use.
- Patients are counseled to consider the use of readily available sound machines with sounds that help to relax and reduce the level of annoyance from their tinnitus.
- Patients are enrolled in a course at MSHC on understanding and managing their tinnitus. Patients are learning from instructors and from other tinnitus patients.
More information on tinnitus from the NIH.