Public Sector Partners
As part of our mission of SETWC, we will be engaging public sector stakeholders in the region to:
- Identify regional transportation job sector needs and priorities specific to the public sector,
- Catalogue existing workforce development programs and best practices,
- Identify workforce gaps and areas of need in the public sector,
- Facilitate partnerships to address these gaps, and
- Align the transportation workforce pipeline efforts and programming to regional job
needs and priorities.
Opportunities for involvement include joining our steering committee, participating in SETWC stakeholder meetings, providing information about existing training programs for public sector employees for inclusion in the SETWC compendium. For more information, or to get involved, contact SETWC's public sector coordinator, Meredith Powers.
Job Needs and Priorities Report
The SETWC is pleased to announce the release of both the Phase l and Phase ll Job Needs and Priorities Reports for our region. SETWC staff convened numerous focus groups, interviews, and discussions to obtain feedback from regional stakeholders and develop the Phase ll report outlining prioritized action items for the region. Please click here to view/download the reports and provide your feedback! If you would like to be included on one of the Strategic Action Plan Teams, please contact Dr. Stephanie Ivey at email@example.com.
Spotlight on Best Practices
New Partnership Promotes Careers in Transportation and Engineering
The Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) and the National Network for the Transportation Workforce (NNTW) are pleased to announce a collaborative working partnership to promote an increasingly skilled professional transportation and engineering workforce. The partnership agreement will allow ITE and the NNTW to formally address a looming national labor shortage: nearly half of the current transportation workforce will be eligible to retire within the next ten years.
To prepare current and new employees to fill emerging job opportunities in transportation and engineering, ITE and NNTW will work toward a number of common goals:
Identify successful strategies to attract youth, veterans, women and underserved populations to career opportunities in transportation;Use data-based methods to forecast future workforce needs and to develop effective strategies to meet those needs; and Support educators at all levels as well as educator-industry collaborations to introduce and advance skills and training that will fill current and future workforce needs in transportation.
"ITE is pleased to be partnering with NNTW on this pivotal issue of workforce development. It is imperative that the transportation profession be forward-looking to be able to attract the diverse set of new and transitioning workers needed for the future transportation workforce," said Jeffrey F. Paniati, ITE Executive Director and CEO.
Read all about Virginia DOT's transportation training programs, our current featured best practice spotlight for workforce development. Click here to view the programs.
Follow suit and submit your transportation training program below!
Links to state DOT and transit training programs, workforce development success stories, and other workforce program resources
- ALDOT Careers
- ALDOT Training Bureau
- Alabama LTAP
- UAB/ALDOT Youth Transportation Workforce Development Program
- Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department Careers
- Arkansas Center for Training Transportation Professionals
- Arkansas LTAP
- Arkansas Transit Association Training Program
- FDOT Careers
- FDOT Internships
- FDOT Construction Training
- FDOT Transportation Development Training
- Florida LTAP
- Florida Transit Operator Training Program
- Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Careers
- LADOTD Student Employment
- KTC Scholarship, Education, and Training Resources
- Kentucky LTAP
- NCDOT Certification and Training Program Listings
- NCDOT Careers
- NCDOT Workforce Success Stories - November 2010
- NCDOT Workforce Success Stories - April 2012
- NCDOT On-The-Job-Training Job Postings
- NCDOT Internship Network Programs
- NCDOT School to Career
- North Carolina LTAP
- Scott Logistics - Current Openings
- TDOT Careers
- TDOT Learning and Development
- TDOT Graduate Transportation Associates
- Tennessee LTAP
- Tennessee Transit Training Center (http://mtweb.mtsu.edu/tttc/about.htm)
- TN TransitJobs
- VDOT Careers
- VDOT Career Development Pathways
- VDOT Training
- VDOT University Virtual Campus
- VDOT Business Opportunity and Workforce Development Center
- VA Transit Jobs
- WVDOT Career Opportunities
- WVDOT Transportation Engineering Technician Certification Program
- WVDOT Transit Training Opportunities
- WVDOT Workforce Development Study Report
- West Virginia LTAP
Check back soon for NEW profiles of successful workforce development programs and practices from states in our region!