Public Sector Partners
As part of our mission of SETWC, we will be engaging public sector stakeholders in the region to:
- Identify regional transportation job sector needs and priorities specific to the public sector,
- Catalogue existing workforce development programs and best practices,
- Identify workforce gaps and areas of need in the public sector,
- Facilitate partnerships to address these gaps, and
- Align the transportation workforce pipeline efforts and programming to regional job
needs and priorities.
Opportunities for involvement include joining our steering committee, participating in SETWC stakeholder meetings, providing information about existing training programs for public sector employees for inclusion in the SETWC compendium. For more information, or to get involved, contact SETWC's public sector coordinator, Meredith Powers.
(All provided links open in a new window.)
NCHRP Gender Equity in the DOT Workforce
The SETWC is pleased to announce it is leading, in collaboration with the West Region Transportation Workforce Center, NCHRP 54-20 Gender Equity in the DOT Workforce. The project involves compiling a synthesis report for the Transportation Research Board, National Cooperative Highway Research Program (NCHRP). The objective of the synthesis is to document current state DOT practices related to promoting gender equity in their workforces. All state DOTs are being asked to complete a brief survey, and participation will ensure the success of the synthesis project and help state DOTs to identify common practices in use to advance gender equity among DOT employees. Please click here to view/download a PDF of the survey instrument. If you have questions about this project, please contact Dr. Stephanie Ivey at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spotlight on Best Practices
New Partnership Promotes Careers in Transportation and Engineering
The Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) and the National Network for the Transportation Workforce (NNTW) are pleased to announce a collaborative working partnership t
o promote an increasingly skilled professional transportation and engineering workforce. The partnership agreement will allow ITE and the NNTW to formally address a looming national labor shortage: nearly half
of the current transportation workforce will be eligible to retire within the next ten years.
To prepare current and new employees to fill emerging job opportunities in transportation and engineering, ITE and NNTW will work toward a number of common goals:
Identify successful strategies to attract youth, veterans, women and underserved populations to career opportunities in transportation;Use data-based methods to forecast future
workforce needs and to develop effective strategies to meet those needs; and Support educators at all levels as well as educator-industry collaborations to introduce and advance skills and training that will fill current and future workforce needs in transportation.
"ITE is pleased to be partnering with NNTW on this pivotal issue of workforce development. It is imperative that the transportation profession be forward-looking to be able to attract the diverse set of new and transitioning workers needed for the future transportation workforce," said Jeffrey F. Paniati, ITE Executive Director and CEO.
Institute of Transportation Engineers and the National Network for the Transportation Workforce Enter Partnership Agreement (PDF) to read the full press release.
Read all about Virginia DOT's transportation training programs, our current featured best practice spotlight for workforce development. Click here to view the programs.
Follow suit and submit your transportation training program below!
Links to state DOT and transit training programs, workforce development success stories, and other workforce program resources
(All provided links open in a new window.)
- ALDOT Careers
- ALDOT Training Bureau
- Alabama LTAP
- UAB/ALDOT Youth Transportation Workforce Development Program
- Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department Careers
- Arkansas Center for Training Transportation Professionals
- Arkansas LTAP
- Arkansas Transit Association Training Program
- FDOT Careers
- FDOT Internships
- FDOT Construction Training
- FDOT Transportation Development Training
- Florida LTAP
- Florida Transit Operator Training Program
- Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Careers
- LADOTD Student Employment
- KTC Scholarship, Education, and Training Resources
- Kentucky LTAP
- MDOT Careers
- MDOT K-12 Outreach (AASHTO TRAC & RIDES)
- NCDOT Certification and Training Program Listings
- NCDOT Careers
- NCDOT Workforce Success Stories - November 2010
- NCDOT Workforce Success Stories - April 2012
- NCDOT On-The-Job-Training Job Postings
- NCDOT Internship Network Programs
- NCDOT School to Career
- North Carolina LTAP
- Scott Logistics - Current Openings
- TDOT Careers
- TDOT Learning and Development
- TDOT Graduate Transportation Associates
- Tennessee LTAP
- Tennessee Transit Training Center (http://mtweb.mtsu.edu/tttc/about.htm)
- TN TransitJobs
- VDOT Careers
- VDOT Career Development Pathways
- VDOT Training
- VDOT University Virtual Campus
- VDOT Business Opportunity and Workforce Development Center
- VA Transit Jobs
- WVDOT Career Opportunities
- WVDOT Transportation Engineering Technician Certification Program
- WVDOT Transit Training Opportunities
- WVDOT Workforce Development Study Report
- West Virginia LTAP
Local Technical Assistance Program/Tribal Technical Assistance Program Clearinghouse and Resources
NCHRP Report 865: Strategies to Attract and Retain a Capable Transportation Workforce
TCRP Report 77: Managing Transit's Workforce in the New Millennium
Check back soon for NEW profiles of successful workforce development programs and practices from states in our region!