English Proficiency Requirements
Demonstrated English language proficiency is required of all international students. English proficiency may be satisfied by:
- Citizenship from an English-speaking country AND your native language is English, or your language of instruction in high school or college was English.
- A minimum score or greater on any of the following English language tests:
Exam Minimum Score TOEFL 61 on the internet-based test or
500 on the paper/pencil test
IELTS 6 PTE 50 DUOLINGO 95 iTEP 3.7
- A minimum score or greater on any of the following exams:
Exam Minimum Score SAT 540 on the Evidence-Based Reading and Writing section ACT 21 English sub-score IB International Baccalaureate Grade 5 on the Higher-Level English A1 subject GED/HiSet 450 GED / 45 HiSetCambridge International Education (CIE) ExamsGCE/GCSE/IGCSE
(International) General Certificate of (Secondary) Education
B or higher in English Language or English First Language
- Have completed at least one semester of English Composition with a C or better at a college/university in the US or in one of the approved English-speaking countries. *
- Graduated high school in the US or one of the approved English-Speaking countries with at least two years of enrollment at that school.
- Submit a letter from your school stating the language of instruction**
- Improve your English proficiency and gain full admission to the University of Memphis by participating in the Intensive English for Internationals (IEI) program. Successful completion of IEI will increase students’ English language abilities, professional skills, and add to one’s personal growth.
*Student must submit an official transcript.
**The Admission Committee has the discretion to accept or deny letters attesting to the student’s English proficiency. If your letter is denied, you must show some other proof of English proficiency for admission.
- Canada (Excluding Quebec)
- Cayman Islands
- Grand Turks and Caicos Islands
- Marshall Islands
- Micronesia, Federated States of
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- South Africa
- St. Lucia
- St. Vincent
- The Bahamas
- The British Virgin Islands-St. Kitts-Nevis, Anguilla
- Trinidad and Tobago
- US Virgin Islands-St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John
- United Kingdom