Residency Information

The UofM's residency policy can be summarized as follows:

  • If a student’s primary source of support is the parents, then at least one of the parents must be a resident of the state of Tennessee for the student to count as in-state.
    • NOTE: If a student has begun his or her studies as an in-state student, the student stays in-state as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled even if the parent subsequently moves to another state.
  • If the student is “emancipated” (i.e., not supported primarily through the parents), a student must have their “domicile” in the state of Tennessee.
    • Normally, a student establishes domicile by residing in Tennessee for at least two regular (fall or spring) semesters before enrolling full-time at a college or university in Tennessee.
    • Students who have been residents of Tennessee for less than the normal period must clearly establish that they moved to Tennessee for reasons other than educational purposes before enrolling at a college or university in Tennessee. Some examples of documentation could be copies of a lease or mortgage information, TN driver’s license, utility bill, TN voter’s registration, etc.
  • As long as an out-of-state student is continuously enrolled full-time at an institution of higher-education in Tennessee, the assumption is that they are here primarily for educational purposes.
  • The spouse of a student classified as in-state shall also be classified as in-state.
    • Note: the spouse must be a student. A copy of the marriage certificate should be provided.
  • An out-of-state student attending the University of Memphis on a part-time basis (11 hrs max for undergraduate students and 8 hrs max for graduate students) may pay fees at an in-state rate in a given semester if they can establish, prior to the beginning of the semester, that he or she is employed full-time in the state of Tennessee. A letter of employment must be provided by the employer each semester. Information should be included verifying that the student is employed full-time (minimum of 37.5 hours per week.)
  • An active duty military personnel whose ‘Home of Record’ is Tennessee but who is stationed elsewhere is  considered an in-state student for fee paying purposes.
  • Applicants who provide evidence that they have been transferred by their employer to Tennessee will be considered in-state. A letter from the employer is required prior to the beginning of the semester for documentation.
  • In addition to U.S. citizens and permanent residents, certain non-immigrants who hold visas from particular categories are eligible to establish domicile in the U.S. and in Tennessee, and thus become eligible for in-state tuition rates.  Such persons are eligible for in-state tuition upon proof that they have initiated proceedings to become a permanent resident or become naturalized, thus establishing the intent to remain permanently in the U.S., coupled with standard evidence of "domicile".  Contact the Admissions Office for more information.
  • Non-immigrant visa holders who have been approved for Permanent Residency status must provide one the following as documentation to be considered an in-state student for fee paying purposes; congratulatory letter from Homeland Security, stamped passport, or copy of green card. Asylum and refugee classifications are considered to be Permanent Residents.  A copy of the I-94 card is required.


Complete an Application for Residency Classification/Residency Appeal >

Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act (EVEA)

The Tennessee Eligibility Verification for Entitlements Act requires the University of Memphis to verify that students 18 years of age or older who obtain a state public benefit are a United States citizen or otherwise lawfully present in the United States. Students who complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will not be required to submit additional documentation to confirm their U.S. citizenship or lawful presence. Students applying for financial aid that does not require use of the FAFSA may be required to submit documentation to the UofM verifying U.S. citizenship or lawful presence in the United States. 

Learn more and submit EVEA documentation >

Admissions/Non-Resident Fee Waivers

  • Academic Common Market: The Academic Common Market program allows students from select states to pay Tennessee resident tuition while completing their degree at the University of Memphis.
  • Border County fee waivers: The University of Memphis accommodates students from border counties in Arkansas and Mississippi with a waiver of the non-resident portion of regular tuition.
  • Employed full-time in Tennessee/Enrolled part-time
  • Military: Active duty military and their dependents stationed in Tennessee regardless of their ‘Home of Record’ will be eligible to pay in-state fees.

Bursar Fee Discounts/Waivers

Visit the University and Student Business Services (USBS) website to learn more. Please refer to the policies posted on the site for a precise and detailed description.