Additional Student Information

To ensure that your computer displays the latest update, click on the 'Refresh' or 'Reload' button at the top of your screen.

 Applying for Financial Aid - FAFSA

All students who apply for financial aid from the University of Memphis, including graduate assistantships, must also apply for Federal Work-Study money through FAFSA. Students with Federal Work-Study funds are more likely to be granted assistantships than those without. 

To apply for Federal Work-Study funds on the FAFSA application form, check YES to the question "Are you interested in work-study employment that is arranged or sponsored by the school you plan to attend?".

NOTE: You do not have to to apply for a loan in order to apply for Work-Study.


Out of State Students - Academic Common Market

Quoted from the on-line Graduate Catalog -

"The Academic Common Market is sponsored by the Southern Regional Education Board (SREB). Participating states are Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia (Florida and Texas grant access for graduate level programs only). Current SREB common market guidelines and requirements may be found on the web at http://www.sreb.org/page/1304/academic_common_market.html."

"In addition to certification requirements that the student’s state of residence may specify, the following pertain: (1) students must be fully admitted to a degree program that has been approved as an Academic Common Market program (non-degree students are ineligible); (2) students must obtain a letter certifying residency, term of entry, and approval for the particular University of Memphis program from their state’s Academic Common Market coordinator."

To determine on-line if the program in Egyptian Art and Archaeology is available to students from your state through the Academic Common Market, check the Search for Programs portion of the ACM website.

First, choose your state of residence (the state where you live) from the dropdown button. Next, press the "Search for Programs" button.

Then, in the new window, enter the following:

    Search For Programs With These Words:  (type in) Egypt
        (Leave all other settings at the defaults.)


    1) State Offering Program: "Tennessee"
    2) Institution Offering Program: "University of Memphis"
    3) Subject Area:  "Art History, Criticism and Conservation"
    4) Degree Level:  "All"
    5) Delivery Method: "Any" 
        Press the "Search" button.

Another window will appear which will contain any art history programs at the University of Memphis which are available to students from your home state at reduced tuition.

State of Tennessee on-line information about the Academic Common Market is also available.


 International Students

The University of Memphis encourages the presence of international students on campus. Special regulations and careful adherence to deadlines are necessary for timely processing of international student applications. Requirements for student applicants are outlined at:

The Center for International Educational Services provides support for international students who come to the University of Memphis.


 Readmission to the Masters Program in Egyptian Art

For graduate students who have an hiatus during their course of study at the University of Memphis.
(from the Graduate Catalogweb page) -

"Once accepted into a degree program, a student is expected to enroll every semester thereafter (excluding summer sessions) and make satisfactory progress toward the degree. A student who does not enroll for one Fall or Spring semester must apply for readmission. Submission of an application for readmission does not ensure acceptance. An application for readmission may be rejected or additional requirements may be imposed on the student. A readmitted student must follow the rules, prerequisites, and degree requirements listed in the most current Graduate Bulletin.

Students writing a thesis or dissertation or engaged in a culminating project must enroll on a continuous basis (Fall and Spring) until the thesis, dissertation, or project is complete. If, however, a student completes a thesis, dissertation, or project during a summer session, they must be enrolled in the applicable credit during the summer."