Information about student visas for applicants still in their home country
Any international student who is a graduate of a secondary school and is 18 years of age prior to arrival in the United States may make an application to the IEI program.

Because it may take up to several months to obtain the necessary visa to enter the U.S., a prospective student should apply as early as possible. The completed application with all required documents and fees should be received by IEI no later than six weeks before the beginning of the session. Although we can accept and process applications after that date, students should be aware that they may not be able to obtain the necessary visa before the beginning of the session.

Upon acceptance by IEI, the student will be sent a U.S. Immigration Form I-20, a letter of acceptance, and the affidavit of financial support. The student must then request a visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. If the student meets the requirements, an F1 visa will be issued. Those who are issued the F1 visa must enroll as full-time students and are required to attend classes.

The student should arrive in the U.S. no earlier than 30 days before the session begins. No students will be allowed to enroll after the first Friday of the session. The student should plan to arrive with at least US$1000 in traveler’s checks for immediate needs and emergencies.

I want to study English at IEI and I need a Student (F1) Visa

What are the requirements?

For Applications
•  Completed high school
•  Sufficient financial support
o Do you have scholarships or discounts? (No – non-credit classes) For starting classes
•  Immunizations
o MMR- Measles, Mumps Rubella (2 Shots, positive blood work or medical/religious exemption)
o Varicella – Chicken Pox (2 Shots, positive blood work or medical/religious exemption)
•  Negative Tuberculosis (TB) test or positive TB test with a clear chest x-ray (Tests and x-rays 
will be done at the Student Health Center on the UofM campus. Test results and x-rays from outside 
the US or older than 6 months will not be accepted.)
•  All university fees and health insurance fees must be paid before starting classes

How much does it cost?
Fees (Each 8-week session):
• Tuition: $1850
• UofM Service Fee: $104.50
• Health Insurance Books
Books are not included in the tuition fee. You will buy books from the UofM bookstore. You can make this cheaper by buying used books or renting them through the bookstore. The UofM bookstore will also price-match Amazon prices for identical new books.
If you want to live on campus, we recommend Centennial Place for the traditional dormitory experience or Carpenter Complex for apartment-style living. These locations are open during holidays and breaks for international students. IEI has a special application for campus housing.
Food is available many different places on campus. If you want, you can choose to purchase a meal plan to pre—pay for meals.
What documents do I need to provide?
During the application process, you will give us these documents:
• A copy of your passport photo page
Affidavit of Financial Support signed by your sponsor(s)
• Bank letter(s) or bank statements from sponsor(s)
• Transcripts or diploma from most recent study

What are the steps in the application process?

1. Start the first step of the application process at the following link:
2.  You will receive instructions for setting up your University of Memphis email account and DUO 
security login. Please set up your account, and follow the instructions in the email for the next 
step of the application process.
3. Complete the IEI application and upload the requested documents.
4. IEI will review your application. If we have questions, we will contact you.
5.  When you application has been approved, IEI will send you an Acceptance Letter for the ESL 
program and an I-20. The I-20 is the immigration document for people seeking student (F1) visas. 
During COVID-19, we are allowed to email these to you.
6. Pay the Homeland Security (SEVIS) fee. We will send you instructions for this.
7.  Schedule your F1 Visa interview at a US Embassy or Consulate. There will be an appointment fee. 
Every Embassy is different. Look on the Embassy website for information about requesting interviews 
and visa wait times.
8.  If you do not already have your MMR and Varicella vaccination records, begin working on getting 
these vaccinations or doing the blood work required.
9.  Schedule your travel to Memphis. You may arrive in the US up to 30 days before the start of the 
session. Let the IEI office know if you wish to have an airport pickup when you arrive in Memphis.
10. If you plan to live in UofM campus housing, complete an online IEI housing application. (link)
11. Come to Memphis! Check in to the IEI office on or before the first day of the session. 


On-Campus Housing (full time students only)

IEI students seeking to live in university housing should complete the special online application for IEI students. Do not complete any other application for housing on the university website. It is also important to read the university housing Policy and Procedures. By completing the application, you agree to abide by these policies.

Arrival in Memphis
Students living in on-campus housing will receive room assignments at check-in. A $45.00 non-refundable application fee is due when checking in.
F1 students can enter the US up to 30 days before the session begins.  However, university housing will not be available until the university semester begins. Students needing housing before the beginning of a semester in April/May or July/August may request conference housing for an additional charge. Students arriving early in December/January must find their own temporary housing outside of the university. Students arriving in September/October or February/March can move into university housing immediately.

Housing Information
Two dormitories are open during breaks and holidays: Carpenter Complex (apartment-style housing) and Centennial Place (traditional dormitory-style). IEI students should choose one of these options.

The online application is for single students. Students who are married and/or have children and want to live in University Family Housing should contact Residence Life directly at reslife@memphis.edu or 901-678-2295. There may be a waiting list for University Family Housing.

Carpenter Apartments and Centennial Place are located on the main UM campus. University Family Housing is located on the UM Park Avenue Campus, 2 miles from the main UM campus. The UM Blue Line shuttle bus provides free transportation to the main UM campus, but students must find their own transportation to go to other places in the city.

Click here for a virtual tour of housing at UM. 
Click here to see university housing rates. IEI students living in university housing for parts of semesters should talk with Residence Life about pro-rated fees. Contact them at reslife@memphis.edu or 901-678-2295.
Click here for a list of recommended items to bring.

How to receive your I20

We will email your I20 to your University of Memphis email address.

Immunization Requirements

IEI students in the Daytime Intensive Program are required to show documentation for the following Immunizations and tests:

Submit MMR/Varicella immunization proof (All Full-time, In-Person IEI Students - Visit the UofM Student Health website for more information.)
Submit Hepatitis B and Meningitis response form (All Full-time, In-Person IEI Students)
Submit Meningitis immunization proof (All IEI students living on-campus - Visit the UofM Student Health website for more information.)
Complete Tuberculosis (TB) Testing (Most In-Person IEI students - Visit the UofM Student Health website for more information. Students will complete TB testing at the UofM Student Health Center after arrival.)
Medical Insurance Requirements

All students attending The University of Memphis on F1 visas must purchase university-provided medical, hospitalization, and evacuation/repatriation insurance during registration or provide proof of insurance from an independent carrier or sponsorship. Students must purchase this insurance before beginning classes and must maintain coverage throughout the time of their study in the IEI program, including breaks and holidays. Information about insurance requirements is available on the IEI website and will be included in the acceptance packet.

I94 Instructions 

(Transfer-in students and Check-in instructions)

Go to the following website:  https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

Click on the tab, “Get Most Recent I-94.”


Enter the requested information.

Save as a .pdf 

Upload the document into your application

Health Insurance for IEI F1 Students

The State of Tennessee requires that students with J or F visas have and maintain medical, hospitalization, evacuation and repatriation insurance as a condition of admission and continued enrollment at the institution.
Students not providing acceptable proof by the final day of the late registration period will be required to purchase the University of Memphis insurance on the final day of the late registration period or risk termination of their I-20’s. Payment for coverage must be made in full for the entire session and days connected to that session before and/or after.

Insurance Options

1. Purchase insurance through the university

2. Provide proof of insurance from an independent carrier
Provide a copy of both sides of the insurance card and a copy of the insurance policy. The information must be in English. The dates of coverage and the total amounts of coverage must be included. The coverage must be equal to, or better than, the coverage provided by the University of Memphis plan.

3. Provide proof of insurance through a government sponsorship or other university-approved official sponsorship
Students holding insurance coverage through a government sponsorship or through a university-approved official sponsorship must provide proof of coverage in the form of an official letter from the sponsoring agency and a copy of the provided policy (in English.) The dates of coverage and the total amounts of coverage must be included. The coverage must be equal to, or better than, the coverage provided by the University of Memphis plan.

Required Coverage:
•Major Medical Expense Coverage:
$500,000 USD for each injury or illness

•Repatriation Expense:
In the event of the death of the insured person, expenses as may be reasonably incurred will be payable up to $25,000 USD for returning the body of the insured person to his/her place of residence in his/her home country.

•Medical Evacuation Expense:
If the insured person is unable to continue his/her academic program due to injury or sickness, expenses as may be reasonably incurred will be payable up to $50,000 USD to evacuate the student to another medical facility or home country.

Documents that will be acceptable as proof of coverage must:
•   meet or exceed the amounts listed above
•   provide coverage for at least the current session and days connected to that session before and/or after.
•   provide coverage for both inpatient and outpatient services
•   provide coverage for both physical and mental health services
•   provide coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation
•   be written in English
•   contain clear instructions for filing claims

I will purchase insurance through the University of Memphis


Now that you have been accepted, IEI will send you an immigration form called the I-20.  This form indicates your field of study (Intensive English), the length of your course, and the date when you must report to IEI.  The I-20 allows you to apply for a student visa known as the F1 visa.  Please note that the I-20 is not a visa, nor does it guarantee a visa.

Once you’ve been accepted to IEI, you need to obtain a visa to enter the United States and make travel arrangements. This information tells you about applying for a student (F1) visa, traveling to the U.S., and what to expect when you enter the U.S.

Please also see the following web sites for helpful information regarding student visas:


Applying for a Visa
There are several steps in the visa application process. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please consult the instructions available on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply.  You should apply for your visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over your place of permanent residence. Although visa applicants may apply at any U.S. consular office abroad, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa outside the country of permanent residence.

Required documentation
Each applicant for a student visa must pay a nonrefundable application fee and submit:

An online application Form DS-160 form must be completed and can be found on this web site: https://ceac.state.gov/genniv. A separate form is needed for children even if they are included in a parent’s passport.  When you complete them online, print the DS160 application form confirmation page with the barcode to bring to your interview, which can expedite the visa application process at the embassy. A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States. If more than one person is included in the passport, each person desiring a visa must make an application.
One (1) 2x2 photograph. Please see the website below for information: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/photos.html
Your SEVIS Form I-20A-B from IEI.
Your acceptance letter from IEI.
Evidence of sufficient funds. You can use the Affidavit of Financial Support and/or a bank letter that you uploaded in your online application.
Your SEVIS Fee receipt. (See the SEVIS Fee Learning Content page for information)
Please check with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country to see if you will need to bring any other documents.

What to expect at the port of entry
Once you have your U.S. student visa, you can finalize your travel plans. You will not be allowed to enter the U.S. more than 30 days before the program start date indicated on your I-20. For example, if the program start date is August 30, the earliest date that you can enter the U.S. is July 31. When you travel, you should always carry your I-20, your passport, and evidence of sufficient funds on your person—do not lock these documents away in a suitcase. We also recommend that you carry the name and contact information for the Director and/or Admissions Officer of IEI.

If you are traveling by plane, you will have to complete a CF-6059 Customs Declaration Form for immigration before you land in the United States. You should complete this form while you are on the plane and submit it to the appropriate immigration officers when you arrive. If you do not understand a form, ask the flight attendant for assistance.
When you arrive at your port of entry in the US, you will go through an immigration inspection. You will be asked to present your passport, SEVIS Form I-20 A-B, and CF-6059 Customs Declaration Form. You will also be asked to state your reason for entering the United States and provide information about your final destination. You should tell the immigration officer that you will be studying English at IEI.
At the end of the immigration inspection, the immigration officer may stamp your SEVIS I-20 with “D/S” (Duration of Status) and the date you entered the United States. D/S means that you may stay in the U.S. as long as you maintain your status. If an expiration date is stamped on the SEVIS I-20 instead of “D/S,” please let us know as soon as possible. After you arrive, the IEI office will give you information about how to print your I-94 card.  More information about the I-94 card can be found on this website: http://international.lsu.edu/IS/pdf/I-94_Fact_Sheet.pdf  You will also have your index fingers scanned for fingerprint purposes and a digital photograph will be taken, as required by new U.S. federal regulations.
In most cases, there will be no difficulty. In limited circumstances, if a student is mostly, but not fully in compliance, he or she may be issued a Form I-515A, Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor, usually with instructions to see your international student advisor. This form authorizes temporary admission for 30 days into the United States and requires the student or exchange visitor to take immediate action to submit proper documentation.  More information about the I-515A can be found at this website: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/what-is-a-form-i-515a More information about arrival procedures can be found on pages 6 and 7 at this website:  https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/WelcomeToTheUS.pdf

 Preparing to Come to Memphis

The Weather in Memphis
Memphis has four seasons. The summer is long (May – September) and usually very hot and humid. Winter days can be quite cold. We usually get a little snow each year, but it melts very quickly. Both autumn and spring are brief and beautiful, though it can be rainy at times.

What to Pack
You’ll need clothes for all four seasons. Dress on campus is usually casual (jeans, shorts, etc.). If you plan to bring electrical appliances such as hair dryers, electric razors, etc., you should also bring electrical converters and adapters. It is nearly impossible to find converters that convert from other systems to the US system. If you plan to live in campus housing, you’ll need to provide bed linens and towels. Many students purchase these items after they arrive here. You may want to pack a few items that are unique to your country so that you can share a little bit of your culture with others.

When you arrive in the United States, you should have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and initial expenses. The amount depends on your housing situation and other factors, but we suggest around US$4,000.00 in traveler’s checks. Traveler's checks, obtained at banks or travel offices, can be cashed by banks and most businesses, including hotels, restaurants, and airports. Do not bring this amount in a draft from your country since it could take several weeks to access this money.
It is a good idea to obtain U.S. dollars before your departure, but you should not travel with large amounts of cash--there is too much danger of loss or theft. It may be possible for you to transfer funds in U.S. dollars to a U.S. bank before you leave home. Then, that money will be available to you when you arrive on campus. The university and all local businesses accept only U.S. dollars. You can change foreign currency traveler's checks or foreign currency notes at the bank, but it takes a while. You can also use credit cards. Visa and MasterCard are the most widely accepted. It is also advisable to carry a small amount of U.S. cash--at least fifty dollars in paper currency and two or three dollars in coins or "change" for telephones, baggage lockers, bus fares, and tips.

Payment of tuition, fees, and other charges (including university housing) is due when you register and before you begin classes. Payment may be made by cash, check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or American Express).

SEVIS Fee Requirement – F1 Students

How Much is the SEVIS Fee?  US$350

Who Should Pay the SEVIS Fee?

Prospective IEI F-1 students who are:
applying for an initial F-1 visa at a U.S. consulate visa exempt and applying for entry to the U.S. in F-1 status at a Port of Entry (Canadians,Bermudians)
applying for a change of status to F-1 from another visa status
Current F-1 students who: have fallen out of status and are applying for reinstatement after more than 5 months
have been outside the U.S. for more than 5 months and are returning to resume a degree program or begin a new degree program
NOTE: F-2 dependents (children and spouses) do NOT pay the fee.

When Do I Pay the Fee?

You must receive an I-20 from IEI before you can pay the fee.
The fee must be paid at least 3 U.S. government business days before your visa interview.
The fee must also be paid before an application for change of status to F-1 or application for reinstatement to F-1 status is submitted to the Department of Homeland Security.
You may set up the visa appointment before paying the fee.
How Do I Pay the Fee?

The fee can be paid online, through Western Union Quick Pay, or by mail.
A third party, such as a family member or friend, may also pay the fee for you. Online payment is recommended because you will be able to print a receipt immediately, which you can bring to your visa interview.
You will need two SEVIS numbers to complete the payment process. 
The University of Memphis - Intensive English for Internationals SEVIS School Code: NOL214F10185001
Your SEVIS ID Number: This is printed on your acceptance letter and your I-20. It begins N00xxxxxxxx.


Medical Forms: Health History, Immunizations and TB Testing:

·     IEI Medical Requirements
Submit Health History Information (All IEI Students)
Submit MMR/Varicella immunization proof (All Full-time, In-Person IEI Students - Visit the UofM Student Health website for more information.)
Submit Hepatitis B and Meningitis response form (All Full-time, In-Person IEI Students)
Submit Meningitis immunization proof (All IEI students living on-campus - Visit the UofM Student Health website for more information.)
Complete Tuberculosis (TB) Testing (Most In-Person IEI students - Visit the UofM Student Health website for more information. Students will complete TB testing at the UofM Student Health Center after arrival.)

·         (*) Indicates the question is required.
·         1. MyPatient Portal Health History  (*)

·         All students are required to complete an online health history on the UofM Student Health Services website.
Go to the UofM Student Health Services website.
Click on the MyPatient Portal link.
Log in using your UofM UUID and password and DUO authentication.
Click on the Forms link.
Complete the Health History questions.
When the Health History is completed, choose Health History Completed below.

·            Please select one
Health History Completed

·         2. Immunization Form 

·         (REQUIRED for full-time students)

Take the MMR Varicella Meingitis Hep B Combo Form to your doctor and upload below.

All full-time IEI students must complete at least the first immunization for MMR and Varicella before the start of the session. The second immunization for MMR and Varicella must be completed within 30 days after the start of the session.

The meningitis immunization is required for students living in university housing only. It must be completed before moving in to university housing.

Exemptions may be requested if the student has an allergy to a vaccine component or has a valid medical condition which contraindicates receiving the vaccine. A physician must provide a signed written statement indicating which immunizations are contraindicated and why the immunizations are contraindicated. The letter may be faxed to the Student Health Center at 901.678.3124 or 901.678.1359.

Students may request a religious exemption for these vaccines. Click on this exemption form. This form must be signed and notarized.

If an exempted student contracts Measles, Mumps, Rubella, or Varicella, or if a Measles, Mumps, Rubella, or Varicella outbreak occurs, it will be the student’s responsibility to remain off campus until a physician gives written permission for the student to return to campus.

Upload the MMR Varicella Meingitis Hep B Combo Form, Doctor's Exemption Letter or Religious Exemption Form here:

  •          Upload a file
  •           Additional Immunization Forms 
  •          If you have additional Immunization Forms, please upload here.
  •          Upload a file
  •          4. Additional Immunization Forms #2 
  •          If you have additional immunization forms, please upload here.
  •          Upload a file
  •          You may enter information on this form and use the Save button to keep your information until you are ready to submit it. Please note that your questionnaire is not considered complete and cannot be reviewed until you click the Submit button              to finalize your responses.


BUILDING WEEK INFORMATION  (need a link to the IEI website for instructions)

The first week of each session new students will be given placement tests to determine their levels of study.  This is the general schedule:

Monday – (All Day) Free Day.  The IEI office will be open for business.
Tuesday Morning– Written placement tests
Wednesday Morning – Oral interviews, email set-up, campus tour, Tuberculosis (TB) skin test
Thursday – (All day) Receive schedules and go to classes (Reading/Writing, Grammar, Listening/Speaking) There is a 1.5 hour break for lunch.
Friday Morning – Orientation, Book buying, TB skin test check and payment

Fees and expenses you pay at registration and during Building Week.

All tuition fees, program fees and Insurance fees must be paid by the last day of registration posted on our website. These fees may be paid by cash, check, money order, credit card or debit card.  You will be given payment instructions at registration.

F-1 Students
Program Fee
Health Insurance
$260-380 (actual amount varies by session)
TB Skin Test
Chest X-ray
$30 (if skin test is positive)
up to $300
$14 (optional)
Non F-1 Students
Full Time Students
Part Time Students
$725-Reading/ Grammar
$1,210- Advanced Integrated Skills
$320-Listening/Speaking and Advanced Communication Skills
$320 Module
Program Fee
TB Skin Test
Chest X-ray
$30 (if skin test is positive)
up to $300
$14 (optional)

Getting University Campus (ID) Cards

All IEI students in the Daytime Intensive Program will receive a UM Campus Card. For information about the UM campus card, click here. 

Here are some of the ways to use the Campus Card:

Library Copier Services - Add money to your Campus Card (Tiger Funds) to make copies in all designated copiers across campus.
Library - Check out books and materials.
Residence Halls - Gain access if you live in a residence hall.
Student Center Ticket Office - Obtain access (or purchase discounted tickets) to upcoming University events such as concerts and performing arts.
Campus Recreation Center – Gain access to the Campus Recreation Center and to check out equipment.
University Health Service – Your Campus Card is required at Health Services.
The UM Campus Card can also be used for discounts at many local stores and restaurants.

IEI students can also add money to the UM Campus Card to pay for food on campus and items in the UM Bookstore.  These are called Tiger Funds.  For information about Tiger Funds click here.


IEI Student Handbook     Please click here to read the IEI Student Handbook.

Instructions for Getting a Tennessee Driver’s License (F1 Students Only)

Please understand that new students will not be able to get a Tennessee Driver’s license immediately upon arrival. Students must wait at least 2 weeks after the start of classes to begin the process of getting a Tennessee Driver’s License. Student registration information in SEVIS must be sent to the State of Tennessee.  This takes approximately 2 weeks. The application and testing process also takes some time.

Online Application
Click here to watch a video about how to complete an online application for your Tennessee Driver’s License.
Click here to begin an online application for your Tennessee Driver’s License. The application fee is $2.00.  The License fee is $26.00.
Most IEI students do not have a Social Security Number (SSN). When you are asked about your SSN, click on “I don’t have an SSN” and print the SSN Affidavit Form. You must take this form to a Notary Public to complete.  Do not sign the form until you go to the Notary Public.
When you have completed the online application, submit it and print a copy. 

Prepare for the Knowledge Test
After you complete the online application, you will need to take a knowledge test and a skills test.
Click here for a copy of the Tennessee Driver’s License Manual. Study this before going to your knowledge test. 
Click here for an online practice test. 

Take the Knowledge Test
You will take your printed application and these documents to one of the Tennessee Driver Service Centers listed below when you are ready to take the knowledge test:

Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Lawful Permanent Resident Status or Temporary Legal Presence (All documents required):
Valid Passport with visa
Form I-20 (F1 students)
University student ID card
Proof of Tennessee Residence (choose 2):
Letter mailed from the IEI office (and stamped envelope)
Current utility bill from MLGW OR Current bank statement
Letter from Residence Life stating that you live on campus (students who live in a UM dorm) See Ada Waddle in the Residence Life Office in Centennial
SSN Affidavit Form signed by a Notary Public (or SSN card if you have one)All items must be original and less than 4 months old. No photocopies will be accepted.
There are 4 Driver Service Centers in the Memphis area.  You may choose any of these, but we recommend the Oakland center. Bring all of the documents listed above.  You will take a knowledge test and eye exam.  You will make a second appointment for the skills test.

Oakland Driver Services Center - 160 Beau Tisdale Drive, Oakland
Memphis/East Shelby Dr. Driver Services and Reinstatement Center - 3200 East Shelby Drive, Memphis
Memphis/Summer Avenue Driver Services and Reinstatement Center - 5266 Summer Avenue, Suite 75, Memphis
Millington Driver Services Center - 5019 W. Union Road, Millington

Schedule a Skills Test
To schedule a skills test appointment please click Online Driver Services or contact the Call Center at 866-849-3548, Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 5:00 pm CST.


IEI students who drive to campus need a parking tag to park on campus. The cost for a parking tag is included in the IEI Program Service Fee. You can get a parking tag from the IEI OFFICE after you have paid your fees and received your Student ID. Click here to see a campus parking map.  Students can park in the yellow General Permit Parking areas.

E. Information for students transferring from/to another U.S. school (Transfer in & Transfer out)

IEI requires the same application material from transfer students as from students coming from their home countries. The only difference is that a transfer student should supply a transcript or grade report from the previous US school instead of from schools in his or her home country. The completed application with all required documents and fees should be received no later than the deadline posted. Registration and fee payments must be completed by the posted start date of the session. A new I-20 will be made once the original school has released the student’s record in the SEVIS system and the student has completed registration.

Sevis Transfer Release Form