Thurgood Marshall Moot Court Competition
Sponsored by Black Law Student Association (BLSA), this competition is held in January of every year at the NBLSA convention. Attorney Andre Mathis (JD 07) and Will Perry are the coaches. For information on this competition and past issues please visit the competition website.
- Regional Competition: Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina (2016)
- National Competition: Washington, DC (2016)
Each region has a competition and the top three winners from those competitions move on to the final competition. The final competition consists of the top 3 contestants from each region competing and National Black Law Student Association Conference.
- Second Place: Southern Region (2106)
- Top Eight: Nationals, Washington DC (2016)
- Dawn Campbell and Erica Coleman (2015-16)
There is a brief and oral argument component. The brief is due at the end of the Fall Semester with the majority of Winter Break spent practicing.
A student's perspective:
"This competition took a lot of work, but it was well worth it. We were able to meet and spend time with various attorneys, judges, and professors. The experience on the team was very rewarding, confidence makes a huge difference!"
Past Moot Court Competitions:
- Regional Quarter Finalists- Ariel Anthony, Aurelia Patterson -Jarrett Spence, Jerrick Murrell - 2015
- Regional First Place - 2010, National Second Place - 2010
- National Third Place - 2007
- Regional Third Place - 2007
- Regional Best Oral Advocate - 2001