University Schools Reopening
University Schools will be reopening for the 2020-21 school year under the following reopening guidelines: University Schools Reopening Guidelines.
ELRC specific guidelines can be found here: ELRC Reopening Guidelines
This page, parents, and guardians will be notified with any pertinent updates.
University Schools will begin offering regular on-site COVID-19 testing for our staff and students. Testing will be free of charge and provided by the “Test to Protect” program recently initiated by the City of Memphis and the Shelby County Health Department. Though participation will not be mandatory, we know that our strength is in numbers. Our hope is that this practice will add an additional measure of safety and security for our school community.
- Testing will be from 3-5pm (see dates below).
- Screening tests will administered using a pool testing approach.
- Pooling—sometimes referred to as pool testing, pooled testing, or batch testing—means combining respiratory samples from several people and conducting one laboratory test on the combined pool of samples to detect SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. Pooling allows laboratories to test more samples with fewer testing materials.
- If a pooled test result is negative, then all the samples can be presumed negative with the single test. In other words, all of the people who provided samples can be assumed to test negative for SARS-CoV-2 infection.
- If the pooled test result is positive, each of the samples in the pool will need to be tested individually to determine which samples are positive.
- Results will be provided to the school within 24-48 hours. All patient information
will be kept strictly confidential. In the event of a positive test result individuals
will be notified immediately and appropriate notification, classroom sanitization,
and contact tracing procedures will be initiated.
Test dates are as follows:
- Tuesday, January 12th
- Friday, January 22nd
- Monday, February 1st
- Thursday, February 11th
- Monday, February 22nd
- Friday, March 5th
- Monday, March 15th
- Thursday, March 25th
- Tuesday, April 6th
- Thursday, April 15th
- Monday, April 26th
- Thursday, May 6th
- Monday, May 17th
Home to UofM's Youngest Tigers
The UofM Barbara K. Lipman Early Learning & Research Center is a laboratory preschool affiliated with the University of Memphis which offers a unique learning environment, a nurturing place that encourages children to explore their own active learning abilities. Here they are guided by specially trained teachers and are supported by community.
Here children engage in creative questioning and problem-solving. They learn to understand and share with each other. They form interpersonal communication skills. And they discover and expand their world through a truly interactive environment.
Learning, teaching, growing. Here children get the wings they need to go further and achieve a higher success in life's many lessons to come.
Congratulations, Ms. Anna Grace!
Ms. Anna Grace, one of the ELRC 2-3 classroom supervising teachers, was recognized as a 2020 Educator of Excellence by New Memphis!
You can learn more about her award by clicking here.