International Students


The Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music student body welcomes music students from countries from around the world. These students bring immense talent, help to foster diversity in the university community, and inspire a global appreciation of music. If you are an International student who is interested in pursuing musical study at the UofM, you can expect that our faculty and staff are ready to support you in your educational pursuits, and are available to assist you in your journey to becoming a student.

The Office of International Student Services

While the School of Music’s Admissions team can assist with the music admissions application and audition process, the Office for International Student Services is the best place to start for information, instructions and advisors who can assist you with the international admissions process for the University-at-large.

Language Testing Requirements

  • Undergraduate Applicants: Admissions Requirements are listed on this website.
  • Graduate Applicants:
    • Students who earn a degree from an accredited institution inside the U.S. are not required to submit language scores.
    • Students who earn a degree from an English-speaking institution outside the U.S. may request an exemption from the language requirement. Contact Music Admission for more information.
    • For entry to the School of Music, any of the following exams are acceptable
      • Duolingo, minimum score of 110
      • TOEFL, minimum score of 80
      • IELTS, minimum score of 6.5, all subscores 6.0 or higher
      • PTE, minimum score of 59
    • To be considered for a graduate assistantship with teaching duties, students are required to meet the following requirements

How to Apply - International Students

Prospective international music students must take the following steps to get started:

STEP 1 - Apply to the University of Memphis 

STEP 2 - Apply to the School of Music

STEP 3 - Submit your Enrollment Deposit

STEP 4 - Complete an I-20

  • Students who are interested in the F-1 visa or in continuing F-1 status when shifting in from another U.S. school will need to obtain a University of Memphis form I-20. 
  • Apply for an I-20 here.
  • Please contact the Center for International Educational Services office at theworld@memphis.edu for further information.