Certifications & Training
BLS Certification Course
Campus Recreation is pleased to offer a series of FREE American Heart Association Basic Life Support Certification classes throughout the year, thanks to a grant provided by BlueCross BlueShield of TN Foundation.
The goal of the Basic Life Support Course is to train participants to save lives of victims in cardiac arrest through high-quality cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). The American Heart Association designed the BLS course to teach healthcare professionals how to perform high-quality CPR individually or as part of a team. BLS skills are applicable to any healthcare setting. BLS students will learn rescue techniques for adults, children and infants.
This course will include a combination of videos, skills practice and testing. A written test will be administered at the end of the course. The BLS for Healthcare Providers covers core materials, including:
- adult, child, and infant CPR, including one and two-rescuer scenarios and use of the bag-valve mask and other breathing barriers.
- foreign-body airway obstruction (Heimlich maneuver) for adult, child, and infant (conscious and unconscious).
- AED (Automated external defibrillation) on both adult and child.
- special resuscitation situations and cardiopulmonary emergencies.
Limited spaces are available. Once you register for this class, you MUST attend. Participants who register for a class and fail to show up, arrive late or leave before the class ends will not be able to register for future courses. Courses are held in the Student Recreation and Sports Complex (Former Rec Center) Fitness Studio.
Proper CDC standards including wearing masks and social distancing will be followed.
We offer free lifeguard training for those interested in becoming a Campus Recreation Lifeguard ($200 value). The training is a 2-year American Red Cross Shallow Water Lifeguard Certification, taught in blended learning style (seven hours of online work and about 17 hours of classroom/pool time).
To qualify for the training, you must be able to do the following:
Shallow Water Lifeguard Prerequisite Skills Test
Prerequisite 1: 100-yard swim - participants must swim 100 yards continuously using either front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both.
Prerequisite 2: Tread water, legs only - participants must tread water for two minutes without support and without stopping, hand should be placed under the armpits.
Prerequisite 3: Timed event - participants must perform the following skills within 50 seconds:
- Swim 20 yards, goggles are not permitted.
- Submerge to a depth of 4 to 5 feet and retrieve a 10-pound brick.
- Return to the surface and walk or swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the brick at the surface of the water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
Summer 2022 Shallow Water Lifeguard Classes
- June 4-5 9:30 a.m.-6:30 p.m.