All Commencement events take place at FedExForum, located in downtown Memphis, TN. The facility is the home of the Memphis Grizzlies, NBA Team. For each Commencement, FedExForum can hold over 18,000 graduates and guests combined. Seating information changes often. Please contact Commencement regarding sections and how seating will be prepared. A General Seating Chart is available here.
All Commencement events are open to the public No tickets are required.
Security at FedExForum
Walk-through magnetometers were installed at FedExForum under the premise of being used at all Memphis Grizzlies games, as per an NBA mandate conceptualized during league security meetings. The magnetometers have become an industry standard across MLB, NHL and NFL venues and their use will now be mandatory for every FedExForum event to improve fan safety and guest experience, a shared goal between FedExForum, the University of Memphis and touring production companies. To ensure your Commencement ceremony is enjoyable for you and your guests, please note the following:
- Guests cannot bring in weapons, bull horns and other noise makers. The items will be confiscated and not returned. It will be up to the Police/Security if the person will be allowed into the event or escorted out.
- X-Ray Units that bags must be scanned through instead of just opened up and visually checked.
- Secondary metal detector for failed screening or individual must pass through metal detector until they are cleared.
- Guests are advised to bring ONLY necessary items to the FedExForum during events, concerts, and games.
- Separate express lanes will be available for guests in the Grand Lobby without bags to be inspected.
- Guests will not need to remove their hats, shoes, belts, watches, or jewelry as with airport security. Instead, guests will have to place their cell phones, cameras and keys on a security table prior to walking through the metal detector.
- Expectant mothers, those with pacemakers and ADA guests are not subject to the magnetometers and will instead be screened through handheld devices.
- The FedExForum does NOT have a clear bag policy. Max bag size allowed is 14x14x6. All Bags between 14x14x6 and 4x6x1.5 must be X-Ray scanned upon entry. Bags (Clutches) 4x6x1.5 need to be opened and checked but are not required to be X-Ray scanned. Of course, all bags are subject to search upon entry.
- Food will not be available for this event. Coffee and water are available for purchase at Snax by section 101.
- Outside food and beverages cannot be brought into FedExForum.
- Remember that wrapped gifts and helium balloons are never allowed into FedExForum. For further information, refer to Commencement Conduct Guidelines above.