About the COE
In 1912, the UofM began as West Tennessee State Normal School - a teaching college. All the way back at the beginning, the College of Education was there. As the UofM grew and changed, so did the College of Education. We are now home to three departments where our students specialize in teaching, counseling, researching, leading, administrating, designing, educating, and so much more. If you want to work in education, non-profits, or even if you want to teach, lead, or counsel in a nontraditional setting, we have a degree program that will help you reach your goals. The COE also houses three award-winning research centers that help shape public and academic policy with their innovative research.
The COE demonstrates a commitment to our key values - diversity, inclusion, respect, innovation, and service - in our daily operations. We remain committed to help our students excel and to turn innovation into action while inspiring Memphis, Tennessee, and the world through education.
What can I do with a degree from the COE?
COE graduates work as:
- Hospital-based and community-based treatment and rehabilitation practitioners
- Mental health counselors
- School and university counselors
- University researchers
- K-12 school administrators
- District superintendents
- Non-profit directors
- Human Resources administrators
- Leaders of government agencies
- Community college presidents
- Deans, Associate Deans, and Assistant Deans
- Student Affairs administrators
- Teachers and leaders in pre-school and K-12
- Behavior Analysts in education, business, and clinical psychology
- Instructional Designers in business, military, and higher education
- Literacy Coaches in schools and the community