Residency Information

The UofM's residency policy can be summarized as follows:

  • If a student’s primary source of support is the parents, then at least one of the parents must be a resident of the state of Tennessee for the student to count as in-state.
    • NOTE: If a student has begun his or her studies as an in-state student, the student stays in-state as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled even if the parent subsequently moves to another state.
  • If the student is “emancipated” (i.e., not supported primarily through the parents), a student must have their “domicile” in the state of Tennessee.
    • Normally, a student establishes domicile by residing in Tennessee for at least two regular (fall or spring) semesters before enrolling full-time at a college or university in Tennessee.
    • Students who have been residents of Tennessee for less than the normal period must clearly establish that they moved to Tennessee for reasons other than educational purposes before enrolling at a college or university in Tennessee. Some examples of documentation could be copies of a lease or mortgage information, TN driver’s license, utility bill, TN voter’s registration, etc.
  • As long as an out-of-state student is continuously enrolled full-time at an institution of higher-education in Tennessee, the assumption is that they are here primarily for educational purposes.
  • The spouse of a student classified as in-state shall also be classified as in-state.
    • Note: the spouse must be a student. A copy of the marriage certificate should be provided.
  • An out-of-state student attending the University of Memphis on a part-time basis (11 hrs max for undergraduate students and 8 hrs max for graduate students) may pay fees at an in-state rate in a given semester if they can establish, prior to the beginning of the semester, that he or she is employed full-time in the state of Tennessee. A letter of employment must be provided by the employer each semester. Information should be included verifying that the student is employed full-time (minimum of 37.5 hours per week.)
  • An active duty military personnel whose ‘Home of Record’ is Tennessee but who is stationed elsewhere is  considered an in-state student for fee paying purposes.
  • Applicants who provide evidence that they have been transferred by their employer to Tennessee will be considered in-state. A letter from the employer is required prior to the beginning of the semester for documentation.
  • In addition to U.S. citizens and permanent residents, certain non-immigrants who hold visas from particular categories are eligible to establish domicile in the U.S. and in Tennessee, and thus become eligible for in-state tuition rates.  Such persons are eligible for in-state tuition upon proof that they have initiated proceedings to become a permanent resident or become naturalized, thus establishing the intent to remain permanently in the U.S., coupled with standard evidence of "domicile".  Contact the Admissions Office for more information.
  • Non-immigrant visa holders who have been approved for Permanent Residency status must provide one the following as documentation to be considered an in-state student for fee paying purposes; congratulatory letter from Homeland Security, stamped passport, or copy of green card. Asylum and refugee classifications are considered to be Permanent Residents.  A copy of the I-94 card is required.

Admissions/Non-Resident Fee Waivers

  • Academic Common Market: The Academic Common Market program allows students from select states to pay Tennessee resident tuition while completing their degree at the University of Memphis.
  • Border County fee waivers: The University of Memphis accommodates students from border counties in Arkansas and Mississippi with a waiver of the non-resident portion of regular tuition.
  • Employed full-time in Tennessee/Enrolled part-time
  • Military: Active duty military and their dependents stationed in Tennessee regardless of their ‘Home of Record’ will be eligible to pay in-state fees.

Bursar Fee Discounts/Waivers

Visit the University and Student Business Services (USBS) website to learn more. Please refer to the policies posted on the site for a precise and detailed description.