Catherine and Charles Freeburg Professor of History; Department Chair
Editor of the Austrian History Yearbook
Ph.D., History, Columbia University, 2000
Fields of interest
Modern Central and Eastern European history; nationalism; antisemitism; European monarchy
Nations and Nationalism in Europe; Europe 1914-1945; Modern Europe, 1789-Present; Habsburg Central Europe, 1740-1914; Europe 1900: Politics, Culture, and Society; Modern Germany; Europe in the Nineteenth Century; European historiography
- The Plunder: The 1898 Anti-Jewish Riots in Habsburg Galicia (Stanford University Press, 2018).
- Sites of European Antisemitism in the Age of Mass Politics, 1880-1918, coedited with Robert Nemes (Brandeis University Press, 2014).
- The Limits of Loyalty: Imperial Symbolism, Popular Allegiances, and State Patriotism in the Late Habsburg Monarchy, coedited with Laurence Cole (Berghahn Books, 2007).
- The Pomp and Politics of Patriotism: Imperial Celebrations in Habsburg Austria, 1848-1916 (Purdue University Press, 2005).
Articles and Book Chapters
- "Stimulating Culture: Coffee and Coffeehouses in Modern European History." Journal of Urban History. July 2016.
- "Local Violence, Regional Politics, and State Crisis: Anti-Jewish Riots in Habsburg Galicia in 1898" in Sites of European Antisemitism, 1880-1918, edited by Daniel Unowsky and Robert Nemes. Brandeis University Press, 2014.
- "Supra-National Patriotism and Dynastic Celebrations in the late Habsburg Monarchy." Memoria e Ricerca, Spring 2013 special issue of this Italian historical journal focused on Monarchy and the Nation, 1850-1914.
- "Dynastic Symbolism and the Limits of Habsburg Loyalty" in Comparing Empires: Encounters and Transfers in the Long Nineteenth Century, edited by Jörn Leonhard and Ulrike von Hirschhausen. Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, 2011.
- "Peasant Political Mobilization and the 1898 anti-Jewish Riots in Western Galicia." European History Quarterly, July 2010.