- Career Milestone Awards
- Excellence Awards
- Harriet R. Montgomery Service Excellence Award
- Tiger Spotlight
- Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day
2022 Career Milestone Awards: November 15, 2022 (University Center Ballroom, 10am)
The Career Milestone Awards Program is designed to recognize employees for their years of service to the University of Memphis. Staff employees are eligible for recognition during their fifth year of service and faculty during their tenth year of service. Subsequent recognition occurs thereafter in five (5) year increments. Each year, the Department of Human Resources sponsors the Career Milestone Awards Ceremony for all faculty & staff employees where they are presented with a milestone award in appreciation of their years of service to the UofM.
5th Annual Excellence Awards (March 21, 2022): Ceremony Photos
The Presidential Award is the highest award given at the University for staff employees. Honorees are recognized for the lasting impact made on the University through community outreach, outstanding service excellence, and support of strategic initiatives, while maintaining exemplary performance. Criteria for this award may include one or several of the following.
- Support: Demonstrates above and beyond commitment to the support of the students, faculty and staff.
- Stewardship: Demonstrates a high level of care and responsibility for the well-being of the University and its resources for the benefit of our students, faculty and staff.
- Innovation: Possesses leadership abilities and embraces creative initiatives, resulting in a positive impact to the University and the surrounding community.
- Teamwork: Works as a partnership builder while nurturing an environment of camaraderie and
TIAA Excellence Award
The TIAA Excellence Awards recognizes employees throughout all University Divisions for a variety of exceptional efforts and contributions to the University of Memphis. Primarily, this award honors employees who display one or more of the following:
- Consistently performs job responsibilities at a level above and beyond normal expectations.
- Exhibits an exceptional ability to foster collaboration, communication, and cooperation among colleagues and university constituents.
- Exhibits a high degree of personal ethics and integrity.
- Has clearly earned the respect of colleagues.
- Exceptional contributions to their department’s level of service satisfaction.
- Significant contributions to the efficiency of an operation or unit.
- Significant contribution to student success, directly or indirectly.
The University of Memphis is proud to partner with TIAA, the sponsor of the TIAA Awards. TIAA has been around almost 100 years as a financial services organization helping customers reach their financial goals, and we are excited and thankful for their partnership and support. For additional information on TIAA, visit https://www.tiaa.org/public.
Community Service Outreach Award
The University of Memphis Community Service Outreach Award recognizes and honors exceptional individuals who make volunteerism and community service a way of life. This award will be given to an individual who exemplifies service excellence in volunteering, exhibits a sense of caring and responsibility for others, and partners with citizens to assist in building relationships for the betterment of the community. The award recipient will also be someone who makes selfless and extraordinary contributions, in addition to those associated with their normal job duties for the betterment of the University, local community and beyond. Listed below are some of the recognition criteria to consider:
- Gives freely and unselfishly of their time to community activities
- Inspires others to serve and act as a role model
- Has a positive impact on building partnerships between the University, local community projects and programs
- Improves the lives of others.
To be eligible for any of these awards, staff employees must have at least two (2) years of continuous employment in a regular position at the University and not have documented performance deficiencies on file within the past 24 months. Recipients must not have been a previous recipient of an Excellence Award. Multiple nominations for one individual will not guarantee that individual will be the award recipient in a given category.
The Harriet R. Montgomery Service Excellence Award was established through the University of Memphis Foundation with contributions provided by the generosity of the University community upon Harriet R. Montgomery's retirement in recognition for her many years of service to the University of Memphis. This award recognizes University staff members who consistently demonstrate a commitment to the highest levels of customer service excellence. Each month, the University community has an opportunity to nominate colleagues from a specific division/area of the University. The nomination form, which includes a statement of support, must be submitted to the Department of Human Resources, Employee Relations & Engagement via the online portal by the established deadline.
Award Eligibility and Selection:
The employee (nominee):
- Must have been employed by the University for a minimum of one (1) year in a staff regular position.
- Consistently maintains a professional and friendly attitude with both internal & external customers.
- Demonstrates that he/she takes time to listen and understand the customers' needs.
- Gives the customer the information he/she needs, not just what the customer asks.
- Is thorough and follows-up with customers in a timely manner.
- May be eligible for this award once every five (5) years.
The monthly recipient will be selected by a committee of peers based on the merits specified on the nomination. Recipients will be awarded with a certificate, a $100 monetary award, and one month of all-access parking on campus.
In support of our continuous efforts to embrace a culture of recognition awareness, this online certificate affords all fellow Tigers the opportunity to "spot" outstanding service throughout the University. Employees may be "spotted" when any of the following characteristics are observed or demonstrated:
- Consistently making a significant and positive impact within their department, by fostering the mission and goals of the University
- Excellence in overall work performance
- Making a personal effort to "go the extra step"
- Consistent commitment in providing expert service to internal and external customers
- Serving as a role model through positive interactions with customers
To "Spot" a U of M employee today, visit this link!
COVID-19 prevented the University from participating in Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day in 2020 & 2021. The University is evaluating the potential of bringing this event back in 2022.
Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day is sponsored by the Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Foundation.
The program is intended to expose children between the ages of 8-18 to the importance of what a parent or mentor does during the work day, show them the value of education, and provide them an opportunity to envision and discover the power and possibilities available for a successful future.
The students participate in an interactive learning program where they have the opportunity to gain firsthand knowledge of the daily tasks performed at work by their parents or mentors. We promote and celebrate the opportunities that girls and boys will discover during this event by being a part of this unique educational experience.
For additional information on the Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day, visit http://www.daughtersandsonstowork.org or contact the Department of Human Resources at 901.678.3573 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
COVID-19 prevented the University from participating in MPLOY in 2020 & 2021. The University and the City of Memphis is evaluating the potential of participating in 2022.
The University of Memphis is proud to partner with the City of Memphis by participating in the city's MPLOY program. For more information about MPLOY, visit http://cityofmemphisyouth.org/moys/mploy-youth.