Change of Status

Change Status from another visa type to F-1

Students who wish to change the purpose of their visit to the United States must file a request with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before the previously approved stay expires. Students may apply to change their nonimmigrant status if:

  1. They were lawfully admitted to the U.S. with a nonimmigrant visa
  2. Their nonimmigrant status remains valid
  3. They have not violated the conditions of their status
  4. No crimes have been committed

Until the student receives approval from USCIS, they should not assume that the status has been approved. This is a request made for individuals who are not currently in F-1 status and wish to change to F-1 status while in the U.S.

To request a change of status, please click on the button below:

Change Status


Option 1: Exit and Re-Entry

When the student has their I-20, they can temporarily leave the U.S., apply for the F-1 visa in the same way that a new entrant to the U.S. would apply, and then re-enter the country as an F-1 visa holder. This option is fast and the only method for individuals seeking a multiple-entry F-1 visa page to be added to their passport.

Option 2: Filing an I-539 Change of Status Request

Students who do not immediately need to change their status can fill out and submit the Form I-539. Along with an I-20, the I-539 is a request that allows the individual to live under the same rules and benefits as an individual who holds an F-1 visa. Processing times for this option can be as long as five months.

Change F-1 visa to another visa type

Some F-1 students studying at the UofM have the opportunity to change their status to another visa type for the following reasons: 

  1.  Marriage 
  2.  U.S. Employment
  3.  Becoming a U.S. permanent resident (Green Card holder)
  4.  Other: https://studyinthestates.dhs.gov/students/complete/change-of-status

If your visa status changes because of any of the reasons listed above, you are required to notify our office of the change so that our office can terminate your F-1 SEVIS record. You are not required to notify ISS while your change of non-immigrant status is still being reviewed and if you are enrolled full-time and maintaining your F-1 status.

To notify our office of your status change, click on the tab below. 

Ending F-1 Visa Status