Required Nursing Data Documents
Nursing students are required throughout the MSN program to be current in essential vaccinations, and to maintain certifications and liability insurance to protect themselves and clients in their care, and to meet clinical site requirements.
The following vaccinations and screens are required, and must be maintained in Typhon:
- Physical Examination (signed by your health care provider)
- Student Signature Form
- Release of Student Information and Acknowledgement
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR): Evidence of 2 doses of MMR, four weeks apart or documentation of positive titers.
- Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis: A current Tdap vaccination within past ten years.
- Hepatitis B (Heptavax): Three dose series (dose #1, #2 in one month, #3 approximately five months after#2-any series outside of this will require titer showing immunity) or sign waiver on page 5.
- Varicella (chickenpox): Evidence of a positive varicella titer; date and result. If titer is negative, written documentation of two varicella vaccines given no less than four to eight weeks apart.
- TB skin test: An annual negative PPD test for tuberculosis or the statement from a health care provider attesting to a negative tuberculosis status. A two-step test not necessary.
- Flu Shot: An annual flu shot is required between October and December unless you have an allergy to eggs,
in which case you will need to upload a waiver stating such signed by your health
All students are required to be vaccinated for the listed vaccines based on the latest CDC guidelines. However, should a student have a documented medical allergy/immune condition preventing vaccination or religious belief against vaccination, a waiver for some vaccines may be granted on an individual basis. Documentation of the need for this type of waiver should be done by contacting the LCON Academic Services Coordinator or Clinical Placement Coordinator and completing the LCON Vaccine Waiver Form. Approval is not automatically granted, and a decision will be provided after the Director for Clinical Affairs reviews each waiver request.
Students should be aware, that various clinical partners where students complete clinical experiences have requirements for vaccination that may not accommodate a waiver, and should alternate clinical activities/sites not be available, the student may not be able to meet course outcomes which would affect the ability to successfully finish coursework or the nursing degree.
- Malpractice Insurance: The bursar will charge your student account $5 in the spring and $5 in the fall to be on the group policy.
- CPR certification: MSN students are required to maintain CPR certification through the American Heart Association. Please upload the front and back of the card.
Criminal background check and urine drug screen (UDS): Upon acceptance to the program, all students are required to complete a criminal background check at the student’s expense conducted by the designated vendor. Criminal background check updates will be required annually thereafter and may be required more frequently depending upon the clinical site. A UDS will be required when the student enters the clinical practicum. Upon enrollment into the clinical practicum a UDS will be required within 30 days prior to each fall and spring semester as well as summer if the first clinical occurs that term. Any clinical student who is not enrolled for a semester or more (excluding summer) will be required to complete an additional background check and UDS upon their return.
Students are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus and must submit copies of their COVID vaccine card prior to the start of their first term. Evidence of 2 doses of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine, or 1 dose of the Janssen must be shown on the COVID vaccine card.