Research+Innovation Tactical Plan: Innovation
We develop new research initiatives and programs that maximize the strength of our
- Grow the # of U.S. patents issued to the UofM by maximizing dedicated internal and
- Provide targeted proposal development support to increase competitiveness.
- Reorganize the research cluster models to fund more PhD students and positions.
- Use the research cluster innovation model to encourage the pursuit of external funding
and to foster the research engagement of emerging technologies among our faculty,
students and community.
- Foster innovation in cutting edge technologies by sponsoring Research Innovation Clusters
that focus the University research community on achieving critical advancements and
exploring novel, high-impact topic areas.
- Assist in growing the research infrastructure on campus by creating postdoc and research
staff opportunities where appropriate.
- Activate the Institute's role as the applied innovation arm of the Division of Research
and Innovation to increase external research collaboration opportunities.
- Diversify the research funding pipeline by exploring underutilized avenues of investment.
- Accelerate the innovation ecosystem on campus, and encourage tech transfer pipelines
that leverage intellectual property generated on campus.
- Collaborate with the University's economic development initiatives and nurture those
efforts by aligning the research infrastructure on campus.