Qualifying Information for ALEKS Assessment for Math Placement
The University of Memphis places students in math courses based on their ACT/SAT Math subscores. For information regarding this placement policy, please see the UofM undergraduate catalog.
For students who do not have a valid or sufficient ACT/SAT math subscore, the ALEKS Assessment is used. According to our information, we require an ALEKS Assessment score on file for you in order for you to register for a Math course (and subsequent courses that have a Math prerequisite).
Who must take ALEKS?
- All incoming first-year and transfer students who do not have an ACT/SAT MATH subscore or whose ACT MATH subscore is below an 18.
- All incoming transfer students with no prior college-level coursework in Math and either no ACT/SAT MATH subscore or an expired score (older than five years old).
- All continuing students whose ACT/SAT MATH subscore has expired (is older than five years old) and who have not previously taken college-level coursework in math.
Before registering for your ALEKS proctored assessment, please confirm the following criteria is true regarding my enrollment:
- My intended major requires Math 1710, College Algebra, as a major course requirement and/or a prerequisite for another course in my major. View list of majors.
- My ACT/SAT Math Subscore < 17/470 or I do not have an ACT/SAT score.
Note: we recommend students consider taking an unproctored ALEKS assessment online via their myMemphis portal.
- Enter your UofM user name and your password.
- The username corresponds to the letters appearing before "@memphis.edu" in your University of Memphis email address.
- After logging into the myMemphis portal, click on the "Student Pages" tab and then "My Resources" to locate the ALEKS channel.
On Exam Day:
- Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment time; arriving more than 15 minutes after your scheduled reporting time will require you to reschedule.
- Your UofM username and password and/or ALEKS username and password is required for testing - please have it with you on exam day or you will be required to reschedule - please note that you will not have the opportunity to to retrieve your username and password on exam day.
- A valid government issued photo ID with signature is required for testing.
Click below to schedule a ALEKS Assessment Exam (main campus testing only)
To schedule a ALEKS proctored Assessment at the University of Memphis Main Campus: Click Here