Canvas is our web-based learning management system, or LMS. All of UofM’s current learning technologies integrate with Canvas, including Banner Student Information System, Microsoft Office 365 and Teams, Qualtrics, Turnitin, and Zoom. Canvas provides enhanced reporting of metrics at the student, course, program, degree, and institutional level. Canvas Studio allows faculty and students to quickly record and caption video.
How do I log in to Canvas?
Add TA/GA/Faculty Upcoming Change:
Per the Registrar’s Office, as of April 14, 2023, all TAs and GAs should be added to semester sections through Banner. TAs/GAs will
no longer be added manually to Banner-generated sections in Canvas by Department Aides
or the UM3D team. All TA/GA additions will need to be added to semester sections by
Once a TA/GA’s contract has been approved and FERPA training has been completed, your department scheduler can add TAs and GAs to applicable sections or the department scheduler can place a ticket to have TAs/GAs faculty role activated. This may be submitted via the Registrar’s Office Academic Section Maintenance Request.
Once added to Banner, TAs/GAs will appear as instructors (with instructor-level permissions) in their assigned Canvas course. TAs/GAs will also appear as instructors in Banner with the instructor of record/primary instructor designated in Banner via (P)
If you have additional questions about this process, please place a ticket with the Registrar’s Office.
Canvas Course Combine Requests Process:
In 2022 UM3D has received approval from the Registrar's office to auto-combine cross-listed courses in Canvas. This new process will not require a faculty member to submit a service request for courses to be combined. As long as the courses are cross-listed in Banner(myMemphis).
If courses are not cross-listed in Banner(myMemphis), your department scheduler should place a ticket with the Registrar’s Office using the Academic Section Maintenance Request. *Due dates for course combines are listed at the top of the ticket request and cannot be fulfilled within one week of the start of term.
Note: Some requests to cross-list sections may be subject to review.
The following are examples of when sections should be cross-listed in Banner(myMemphis):
- An undergraduate and undergraduate section – a 3000 and 4000 level
- Regular sections taught with an embedded honors section
- An undergraduate and a graduate section – a 4000 and 6000 level
- A graduate and another graduate section – a 7000 and 8000 level
- Undergraduate, undergraduate honors, and a graduate section
- Different subjects (such as Art and Journalism) that teach similar material, but each department has their own course
- Triangle courses –cross-listed sections in Banner that may be taught at different locations. These students are technically in one class though there are three or more sections.
Once the Section Maintenance Requests have been completed, Banner(myMemphis) will feed the course into Canvas and combine sections automatically into one-course shell.