Canvas at the UofM
Canvas is a web-based learning management system, or LMS. Canvas has an intuitive interface that lessens user dependence for lengthy training sessions and extensive support material readings. All of UofM’s current learning technologies integrate with Canvas, such as Banner Student Information System, Microsoft Office 365 and Teams, Ensemble Video, Qualtrics, Turnitin, and Zoom. Faculty and administrators will benefit from the Canvas embedded learning analytics to help all students maximize learning opportunities and the usage of the LMS. Canvas provides enhanced reporting of metrics at the student, course, program, degree, and institutional level
How do I log in to Canvas?
Schedule a Consultation
Canvas Course Combine Requests - New Process
UM3D has received approval from the Registrar's office to auto-combine cross-listed courses in Canvas. This new process will not require a faculty member to submit a service request for courses to be combined. As long as the courses are cross-listed in Banner(myMemphis).
If the courses are not cross-listed in Banner(myMemphis). Your department scheduler should put in tickets to the Registrar’s Office (before the start of the semester) using the Section Maintenance Requests.
Note: Some requests to cross-list sections may be subject to review.
The following are examples of when sections should be cross-listed in Banner(myMemphis):
- An undergraduate and undergraduate section – a 3000 and 4000 level
- Regular sections taught with an embedded honors section
- An undergraduate and a graduate section – a 4000 and 6000 level
- A graduate and another graduate section – a 7000 and 8000 level
- Undergraduate, undergraduate honors, and a graduate section
- Different subjects (such as Art and Journalism) that teach similar material, but each department has their own course
- Triangle courses –cross-listed sections in Banner that may be taught at different locations. These students are technically in one class though there are three or more sections.
Once the Section Maintenance Requests have been completed, Banner(myMemphis) will feed the course into Canvas and combine sections automatically into one-course shell.