NOTE: The University of Memphis is implementing a new application process for graduates. If you are just beginning the application process, go to 'New Applicant.' For applications in progress, see below for instructions.
For Applications in Progress
Admission to BOTH the Graduate School and the Department of Anthropology is required.
Application packets should be sent simultaneously and to the appropriate corresponding entity. To ensure that your application gets proper and timely attention, do not send your Graduate School application to the Department of Anthropology.
- January 31 - May 1
- Applications submitted by January 31 will receive greater consideration for funding.
- Applications received after May 1 will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- September 1 - November 30
Graduate School Application Requirements:
- Graduate School application and fee
- Entrance examination test scores
- Transcripts from previous schools and universities
- Additional requirements for international students
"If you have previously completed a graduate application to the University, all future graduate application fees are waived. Please contact Graduate Admissions (901-678-3685 or email@example.com) for a coupon code for you to use within a day of submitting your next application.
Department of Anthropology Application Requirements:*
- Department Application
- Three letters of recommendation (at least 2 of 3 must be from academic references)
- Letter of intent
- Graduate Assistantship Application (only required if seeking funding)
- A sample of your best writing (5 pages minimum). Recommended for all, required if seeking a Graduate Assistantship.
Prospective Student Resources
- Anthropology Program Requirements and Course Descriptions
- Anthropology Department Master's Practicum
- Anthropology Department Comprehensive Written and Oral Exams
- Anthropology Department Graduate Student Handbook
- Anthropology Department Learning Goals and Objectives
- The Graduate School
- The Graduate School Application Checklist
- Financial Aid Department
- Hints for Finding a Graduate Assistantship
- ServiceMaster Design & Innovation Ethnography Fellowship Fall 2018
Office of Graduate Admissions
Department of Anthropology
Dr. Ted Maclin, Graduate Coordinator