Apply to Graduate

  1. What is my "College or School?

    All academic fields of study are located within a college or school at the University. The colleges are: Arts & Sciences, Business and Economics, Communication & Fine Arts, Education, Engineering, Professional & Liberal Studies, Health Sciences, Public Health, Nursing, Kemmons Wilson School of Hospitality and Resort Management, School of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Law, and Graduate School. All graduate students are in the Graduate School regardless of major. The commencement program will list graduate students with the undergraduate college of their major to correspond with the processional.

  2. I want to file my intent for May 2090 (or August 2090 or future term), but that is not an option? Why can't I file for spring?

    You might be looking at the "Curriculum Term Selection" screen, which asks you to choose the right term for your correct program. Choose the most recent term and you will choose the graduation term/date in a few more screens after this selection.

  3. I get an error message when I try to file by intent!

    If you have previously filed for graduation, it will not allow you to do so again. If you have not filed, it may be that you do not have enough hours to file in which case you should contact your graduate analyst.

  4. Who is my Graduation Analyst?

    Please refer to the list of College Graduation Analysts and find the name listed for your College or School https://www.memphis.edu/commencement/graduates/graduation-analyst.php. All doctoral, masters and certificate students School is the Graduate School.

  5. What if I don't have 80 hours but plan to graduate in two or three semesters?

    Contact your Academic Advisor and graduation analyst to develop a plan for securing sufficient credits to graduate in the time frame you wish.

  6. I need to change my date, and the form will not allow me to do this.

    The Application will not allow you to do this unless your graduation analyst allows it. Notify your graduation analyst that you need to move your date.

  7. I click on Step 3, but it tells me there is no graduation application.

    You must do Steps 1 and 2 prior to submitting Step 3. If you have done the previous steps, email commencement@memphis.edu with your address, name, UNumber, height, weight and cap size.

  8. Step 3 asks me about cap and gown measurements, but I don't plan to participate in a ceremony.

    Step 3 is required by all students, Undergraduate (UG), Graduate (GR) and Law. The Commencement Office will confirm if you are attending at a later date within your graduating semester. All steps are required. Simply place "dummy measurements" there if you are not attending. A cap and gown is only ordered if attending the ceremony.


  1. How do I indicate I plan to participate in Commencement?

    You MUST complete Step 4 by the deadline. No Step 4 submission, no seat at Commencement. 

  2. Can someone else pick up my cap and gown, if I am unable?

    Yes. Anyone can pick up a participants items. The designee should have an electronic copy of the Step 4 Confirmation Email. 

  3. When and how do I get a pronouncer card?

    If you complete all parts of the checklist, a pronouncer card will be given to you during cap and gown distribution. Pronouncer cards must be brought with the graduating student to Commencement or you cannot cross the stage to graduate. Keep it and don't destroy or misplace it. You cannot walk without it.

  4. How many people may I bring to the graduation ceremony?

    All three University of Memphis Commencement ceremonies are currently held at the FedEx Forum. The ceremonies are open to the public. No tickets are required. We encourage large parties to arrive one hour before the ceremony to secure setting together. Commencement and the FedEx Forum do not reserve seats. There is seating for families who have members with disabilities.

  5. Do the undergraduate and master's students walk at the same time?

    Yes, undergraduate and master's students with the same majors walk with others in the same college/school. For example, an undergraduate major in History and a master's student majoring in History will walk at the same ceremony with The College of Arts and Sciences. If you have questions about this, please contact our office at commencement@memphis.edu.

  6. How long do the ceremonies last?

    The ceremonies will last approximately 2 hours.

  7. Can I borrow a cap and gown from the Commencement Office to take pictures?

    No, we do not loan out caps, gowns or hoods. 


  1. May I change my name on my diploma?

    You may change your name in Banner (University system) by going to the Registrar's Office (Wilder Tower, Room 003, 901.678.3928). The name on your program, attendance card and diploma must match the name on your file at the Registrar's office. Do not wait until the last minute to make a name change. Be sure to complete all of this by the Step 4 deadline within the semester you are graduating. For more details, refer to Registrar's Office Policy. If you are an alumnus/a, reordering your diploma, contact the Alumni Office for name changes.

  2. How do I update my diploma mailing address?

    Email us with your Unumber, Name and New Address at commencement@memphis.edu 

  3. When will I receive my diploma?

    Diplomas are mailed 3 1/2 months after each commencement. No exceptions. Diplomas are mailed standarly.

  4. Diploma Covers? Diploma covers are participant items only and are not mailed. Programs are available electronically and can be found at www.memphis.edu/commencement