Your academic advisor is your primary resource for helping you chart your path to your degree. You will meet with him/her at least once per semester to plan your classes for the next semester. You are not able to register for classes until you've been cleared by your advisor.

If you're not sure who your advisor is, contact the Department's advising coordinator (currently Mr. Kriangsiri Malasri).

Undergraduate Students


  • Computer science major and minor requirements are available in the Undergraduate Catalog and our Degree Programs page.
  • The UMdegree system (accessible through the My Degree tab at my.memphis.edu, or directly at umdegree.memphis.edu) is an invaluable resource. It tracks which degree requirements you've already met and shows you the available options for outstanding requirements. A UMdegree student guide is available here.

New and Transfer Students

  • Due to the brisk pace of COMP 1900, it is strongly recommended that you have some basic prior programming experience before taking it.  If you have never programmed before, you can take COMP 1800 before COMP 1900.  COMP 1800 will count as a free elective in the undergraduate program.
  • In order to be a full-time student (12 or more semester hours), you must submit proof of MMR and varicella vaccinations to the Student Health Center. Please see here for more information and to upload this documentation online.
  • New freshmen must register for a New Student Orientation session. Transfer students are encouraged to register for a Transfer and Adult Student Orientation, but this is not required.
  • For transfer students, the University's Admissions office is responsible for making most transfer credit decisions. You can refer to their Transfer Equivalency Tables to get an idea of which of your courses will likely transfer. You will need to request official transcripts from your prior school(s) before your transfer credit can be processed.

Declaring a CS Major or Minor

If you are a student from another major who wants to change majors to Computer Science, contact the College of Arts and Sciences office on the first floor of Scates Hall to officially declare the major.  The CAS office can also be reached at casgraduation@memphis.edu.

To double major in Computer Science with another major, or to add a Computer Science minor:

  • If your first major is in the College of Arts and Sciences, contact the Arts and Sciences office in Scates Hall.
  • If your first major is in another college (Engineering, Business, Communication/Fine Arts, etc.), contact the advising office of your college.

Contact the Department's advising coordinator after you've added the major/minor to discuss your class selection.

Graduate Students


Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Alternate PIN I need to register?

How do I change my major?

What if I already have a previous bachelor's degree in something besides Computer Science?