FAQs - Pre-Orientation Questions

How do I access my UofM email address?

There should be a 20 digit account code in your letter of acceptance. With that information, you can visit http://iam.memphis.edu to activate your account. If you do not have that information, contact the ITD Helpdesk at 901.678.8888 to request a username and password.

If for some reason you don't have the 20 digit account, it might be necessary to first contact the Registrars office at 901.678.2810 to obtain your code and UUID.

It is important to activate this account and check it frequently during the summer before you begin. This is the address the university will use to provide financial information (deadlines, fees, etc.) and the address professors will use to email textbook information.

What is a program partner?

All incoming students have been paired with a current student to serve as a program partner. This student will be in touch with you during the summer and available to answer any questions you may have about the program. If you have not been contacted, we may not have your current e-mail address. Please contact the current NSSLHA President to update your contact information and to learn how you can contact your program partner.

What is a clinical experience form?

Incoming students will need to complete the clinical experience form and return to the identified Director of Clinical Services (listed below). In addition, to this form, a copy of all signed observation/clock hours obtained prior to the start of school will also need to be submitted.

If you are coming in without a communicative disorders background and don't have observation hours don't worry! You will get the hours in your first semester. If you do have another background and have observation hours, you can submit letters documenting your hours from the certified SLP or audiologist you observed with their signature and ASHA number.

Director of Clinical Education, Audiology Jennifer Taylor
Co-Director of Clinical Education, Speech-Language Pathology Justine Springs
Co-Director of Clinical Education, Speech-Language Pathology Katherine Mendez

Do I need a background check?

Yes. In order to be allowed in clinical placements, everyone will need to have a background check. Because the process takes several weeks to complete, we have set the application deadline for the background check for the Friday before Fall classes begins. The only caveat is that this process MUST be completed within the state of Tennessee. If you are in Memphis this summer, it is highly recommended that you apply as soon as possible.  Any student who has failed a criminal background check might be unable to complete the requirements of the program thus resulting in removal from the program.

What about drug testing?

Drug screening is conducted at the discretion of the human resource officers of the area facilities that host students for their off-site clinical education. Drug screening should be completed through Castlebranch.  Any student found to have failed drug testing might be unable to complete the requirements of the program thus resulting in removal from the program.

Do I need to be certified in CPR?

Yes. It is important that all students have taken a live (not online) Healthcare Provider CPR and AED course from either the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association. A two-year certification is preferred. If you are already certified, you will be asked to provide a copy to your Director of Clinical Education. If you are not yet certified, it is strongly recommended that you take care of this requirement before the fall semester, even if you won't be in a clinical placement until the spring. Attempt to obtain certification that will last two years.

Do I need any vaccinations?

Yes. All full-time students must show documentation of two MMR vaccinations and two Varicella vaccinations or proof of immunity to enroll at the University. In addition, CSD requires all students to have an annual TB Test. Please keep record of your results; you will be required to submit them to CSD via your Typhon profile. You must also have a Hepatitis B vaccination. If you have not already had the Hepatitis B vaccination, please take into consideration that the vaccine requires a series of three shots spaced out over several months. We also strongly recommend that students complete the COVID vaccination series and have an annual flu shot in the Fall. All of these shots can be done in Memphis and at the UofM. See the Student Health Center for more information.

Will I have 24-hour access to the building?

Yes. All students will have access to the building anytime of the day or evening. This will allow you full access to the library (daytime only) and computer labs.You will need your University-issued ID card to enter the building.

I don't have a background in Communication Disorders. Are there any prerequisites I need?

There are no prerequisites in the area of communication disorders. However, there are basic undergraduate level courses required for ASHA certification. These are in the areas of math, biological sciences, physical sciences, and social sciences. While many students will have completed these as part of their undergrad studies, there might be one or two courses that will need to be completed in order to graduate. These can be completed anywhere (e.g., online, at a community college, at the UofM). It is strongly recommended that this coursework be completed in the summer prior to the first semester of graduate study. It is important to note that if you are receiving a Graduate Assistantship, and choose to take these courses during your graduate program, your assistantship will not cover the cost of undergraduate courses.