Financial Analyst Track
The Department of Finance, Insurance and Real Estate offers an undergraduate Financial Analyst track certifying that the student has developed the initial understanding of the financial topics included in the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge. The Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) credential has become the most respected and recognized investment designation in the world; enrolling in the Financial Analyst Track is the first step toward earning this qualification. The CFA® Program curriculum covers concepts and skills a student will use at all career stages, connecting academic theory with current practice and ethical and professional standards to provide a strong foundation of advanced investment analysis and real-world portfolio management skills.
This Financial Analyst track is designed for those undergraduate students who:
- wish to explore career possibilities in financial management and analysis.
- wish to prepare for professional certification exams, such as the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA exam).
- are interested in a professional position in finance
- seek to strengthen their knowledge of business practices and theories.
- FIR 3410 - Financial Management
- FIR 3710 - Investments
- FIR 3720 - Financial Markets
In addition, students wishing to complete the Financial Analyst track must take:
- FIR 4730 - Financial Analysis/Certification
And take two of the following classes to complete the track:
- FIR 4331 – Stock Portfolio Mgmt
- FIR 4721 – Financial Derivative Markets
- FIR 4911 – Internship with a CFA charter holder member
When an appropriate upper-division FIR class is not available, an alternative is to take FIR 4911 – External Internship (or internal FISC volunteer internship) under the supervision of a faculty member appointed by the Department Chair. The classes taken under this certificate program count for major credit for any students in the BBA Finance major.
The Financial Analyst Letter of Completion is issued by the Department of Finance, Insurance and Real Estate and is not posted on the student's transcript. To be issued the the Letter of Completion of Financial Analyst track, a student is required to receive a minimum of a B grade in each of the above classes, and it is incumbent on the student to petition the Department Chair of his or her qualifications to receive the Letter of Completion.
Dr. Ronald W. Spahr
901.678.1747 | email
Prof. Nap Overton, CFA
901-678-3409 | email