Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Students who have the F-1 visa or visa status are allowed to take off-campus practical experience, known as Curricular Practical Training (CPT) that is an integral part of their studies. They can get paid for this experience, but the ISS Office is required to collect proof of how the off-campus activity is integral to their program of study. CPT can include internships, student-teaching, nursing practicums, music students playing with off-campus orchestras, clinical hours, and co-ops.

The student must provide the ISS Office with an offer letter from the site, and a note, e-mail or form from their professor to prove that it is part of their studies. The ISS Office collects a course number as the direct proof that it is part of studies, but in the case of Music Students and Law Students, there is a different departmental expectation for all students to get off-campus experience in order to graduate.

The student will be required to attend full-time classes in most cases. Students are allowed to work during Summer, Winter Break or the post-classroom dissertation-only phase and not be enrolled full-time. Students are allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week (on-campus and off-campus). Dissertation-only students and summer students can potentially work 40 hours per week at the internship or co-op.