POSITION AS A LAUNDRY ASSISTANT
LAUNDRY ASSISTANT JOB SUMMARY:
Laundry Assistants are an essential part of Residence Life Summer Conference Housing operations. They are responsible for washing and drying linen from various conferences, counting and sorting the linen for future conferences, and pick-up and delivery of linen to various residence halls. This position works around 20-30 hours per week and has the potential for some night and weekend hours. The Laundry Assistants work directly with Housekeeping and Conference Housing staff to complete linen and room preparation throughout the summer.
Dates of Employment:
May 6 - August 16, 2019
*Dates of employment may change depending on conference needs
- Work assigned linen shifts as necessary. The work schedule will be determined in advance and may include evening and weekend work as determined by the conference schedule.
- Ensures departmental linen is cleaned, folded, and transported as efficiently as possible in a safe and clean environment.
- Provide and distribute clean linen for housekeeping prior to guest check-in.
- Collect used line following guest check-out.
- Keep linen counts to ensure that appropriate numbers of linen in given before group arrival and received after group departure.
- Work with Housekeeping Staff to ensure satisfactory preparation of facilities.
- Assist Assistant Directors and Conference Coordinators with other duties as required.
- Must be a student enrolled at the University of Memphis with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25.
- Must have an answering machine or personal cell phone to be used as work contact.
- Able to work flexible hours to coincide with conference schedule.
- Job requires standing, walking, bending, lifting in excess of 50 lbs., carrying and moving.
- May only take one summer school class per session. Preference may be given to those who are not enrolled in summer school.
- An hourly rate of $7.25 for hours worked not to exceed 37.5 hours a week.
- Ability to work within a team structure or independently.
- Ability to identify and examine problems then coming up with the appropriate solution.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and manage work.
LA REFERENCE FORMS:
Each LA application must also have a Background Check form brought by or mailed to the Residence Life office at suite 175 Centennial Place, Memphis, TN 38152 or FAX: (901) 678-5219.
If you have any further questions about the Summer Laundry Assistant position or about Summer Conference Housing, please call 678-2295.