Frequently Asked Questions

Residence Life FAQ

What are the move-in dates?

The Fall semester move-in dates are the Monday through Saturday before the first day of classes. For Spring, the move-in dates are the Thursday and Friday before the first day of classes. And for Summer, the move-in date is the Friday before the first day of classes. Check-in takes place in the afternoon 1:00-4:00 p.m. We will send out an email to your account with move-in updates and information before move-in week.

I'm an incoming freshman. Where can I stay?

Welcome to the UofM! We want to make sure you have the best experience possible during your stay with us. Beginning Fall 2018, the LLC will be an all-freshmen hall. Freshmen can also stay in Rawls, Smith, South and Centennial Place traditional doubles.

When can I apply for next semester/year housing?

The housing application portal for the next Academic Year opens November 1. The application for Spring only opens November 1. The application for Summer opens April 1.

Is there a deadline to apply for housing?

There is no deadline to apply. However, housing is done mostly on a first-come, first-served basis, so it's to your advantage to apply as early as possible.

How do I make changes to my application?

To make changes to your application prior to May 1, log back in to your application and make whatever changes you need. To request changes after May 1, you will need to email us application changes with your requested changes.

When will I know what my assignment is?

Once assignments have been completed, you will receive an assignment letter via your UofM email. Fall 2019 assignments begin late Spring 2019 and continue until school begins. (dates subject to change)

How do I learn who my roommate is?

Due to FERPA, we cannot release another student’s information. You can, however, view your roommate and suitemate information by logging back into your housing portal after assignments have been completed.

Can I change my meal plan? 

To make changes to your application prior to May 1, log back in to your application and make any changes you need. To request changes after May 1, you will need to email us - Meal Plan Changes - with your requested changes. You can change your Fall 2018 meal plan until August 31, 2018.

When do I have to cancel in order to avoid any additional fees?

Housing cancellations received prior to June 1 for Fall (Dec. 1 for new Spring applicants and May 15 for Summer) will not incur the cancellation fee of $200 ($450 for GSFH). Any cancellations received after the deadline but before checking in will incur the fee. Cancellation fee still applies if you receive your room assignment or apply after June 1.

What is the cancellation fee?

The cancellation fee prior to check-in is $200 for regular student housing and $450 for GSFH. After checking in, you will be responsible for a portion of your housing for that semester. If you cancel after checking in for Fall, you will also receive the contract breakage fee for breaking your contract, which includes both Fall and Spring semesters.

What is the contract breakage fee?

The contract breakage fee is charged when you break your contract by canceling or leaving from Fall and do not continue into the Spring (unless the you're graduating, no longer enrolled, etc). The contract breakage fee is $750.

What is the meningitis requirement?

The State of Tennessee requires all new students under the age of 22 who will be living in a University of Memphis residence to be immunized against meningococcal disease on or after your 16th birthday and provide proof of receiving this immunization before moving into your residence. Proof should be uploaded through your MyMemphis account.

How much do the residence halls cost?

You can find all of our housing rates online or you can pick up a rate brochure from the ResLife office in Centennial Place, suite 175.

When is the fee payment deadline?

The fee payment deadline is set by the Bursar’s office. Traditionally, it is 4:30pm on the Friday before the first day of class.

When will charges be posted/adjusted on my account?

Charges for Fall are usually posted in late July. For Spring, in November. For Summer, in May. If charges or adjustments are needed outside of these normal posting times, it is usually a 3-5 business day process to have the change made and reflected on your TigerXpress account.

What if I can’t pay it all right now?

The Tuition and Housing Installment Payment Plan (IPP) is offered beginning late July for fall and mid-December for spring, and is available through late registration fee payment deadline.

Students who do not sign up for the IPP during the time period above will continue to be offered a housing installment payment plan after the late registration fee payment deadline. The student will receive an email with instructions for how to enroll.

How are housing assignments made?

There are many factors that go into housing assignments: available space, enrollment classification, living learning communities, athletics, honors, etc. Assignments are mostly made on a first-come, first-served basis. That's why it is very important that once the application portal opens, you complete your application as soon as possible.

How do I apply for RA/DA/student worker positions?

ResLife has all employment opportunities posted online. Click on the job for which you want to apply and complete the application. You will hear from ResLife if we are interested in interviewing you for a position.

What are the Living Learning Communities?

Living Learning Communities are specialized programs that combine the conventional residential experience with support from faculty, integrated resources from sponsoring departments, and a 360-degree approach to student learning. 

What do I need to bring for living on campus?

Check out our 'what to bring and what not to bring' list so you're ready for move-in day. 

How do I receive mail?

Residents must rent a campus mailbox to receive mail on campus. Mail Services is located in the UC on the 2nd floor. Sign up for a campus mailbox online!

Do you have showrooms for potential students/parents/residents to view?

Our main showroom is in Centennial Place. To view, call ResLife at 678-2295, email us or stop by our office in Centennial Place, suite 175, Monday - Friday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. There are also showrooms in LLC and Rawls Hall. Only Centennial Place is open during the summer months for tours.

How do I appeal a housing related charge?

To appeal, you can either email your appeal, or complete an appeal form in the ResLife office. Please be as detailed as possible, and clearly state the charge(s) being appealed and the reason for the appeal. Once received, the appeal is usually reviewed and decision made within 2 weeks.

Can I get verification of my residence with the University of Memphis?

Yes! We do provide verification for things like DHS, driver’s licenses, MLGW, etc. To get a verification letter, email us Proof of Residence a request.

Is it possible to change to another room/location?

Room Change is the Thursday and Friday during the first week of school. During this time, talk to your Residence Life Coordinators and Resident Advisors. If space permits, you may move rooms or locations. If you need to move outside of Room Change because of a serious issue or emergency, you need to speak to the RLC or RA about any potential move. You will receive more information after check-in.

What if I cannot make it to the regular check-in times?

If you cannot make it to regular check-in, you need to email us and request to be added to the late arrival list. When you arrive, you'll need to get a late arrival pass from the ResLife office in Centennial 175 before checking in at your assigned residence hall. If you fail to arrive for your Fall 2018 assignment (or make arrangements with our office) by August 25  at 4 p.m., you will be considered a no-show, lose your space and be assessed a $200 cancellation fee.

There is a problem with my space. What do I do?

You should report the problem by submitting a Maintenance Request online. You can also speak to your RA or RLC about the issue after you have submitted the request. 

What is consolidation? And why am I being asked to move?

Consolidation happens when there are too many residents who are assigned to doubles who don’t have roommates. In the process, ResLife gives you the choice to pair up with another resident who needs a roommate, or to declare your space a single and pay the additional cost. 

There is a hold on my housing application. What can I do?

Contact the ResLife office and let them know what kind of hold it says you have. If it is something that can be cleared, it will be. If not, a ResLife team member will tell you what your next steps are.

What is GSFH? How is it different than regular student housing?

GSFH is Graduate and Student Family Housing located on the Park Ave campus. The main differences are that GSFH units are for grad students or for students with a spouse and/or children, they come unfurnished, and the utilities have a $100-$150 cap.

What about the Nine/Gather/Stratum/etc?

These apartments are close to the UofM campus but are in no way associated with the University. We do not have any information to share regarding off-campus housing options.

Does the university offer any rental home options? 

While the university does have some rental homes options, these are not a part of Residence Life. They are run and operated by Physical Plant.

How do I stay 'in the know' with ResLife? 

You will receive important notifications from us concerning deadlines, payments, maintenance issues, etc. via your email. So, don't forget to check it! Make sure you follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat for any programming updates, fun stuff, things to do and more. We also post events and updates from us and other organizations on campus to our digital screens located in the main lobby of all the residence halls.