Apply for MFA
To the prospective student from Sarah Brown, Coordinator of Graduate Studies: Thank you for your interest in our graduate programs in the Department of Theatre & Dance!
We are no longer accepting MFA applications
for the 2020-2021 academic year.
We welcome your inquiry for fall 2021!
Applying to the MFA program is completed via an application to the Graduate School of the University of Memphis:
- Information about completing an application for admission can be found apply for graduate admissions.
- To bypass the information screen and go directly to the application click Graduate School admissions login.
As part of the application you will be asked to select programs you wish to apply to. Be sure to select the MFA in theatre in order to be considered for our program. The application will also collect additional documentation that our department will use in evaluating your application. Be prepared to upload:
- A complete resume including all theatre work
- A statement of purpose detailing what you hope to achieve with an MFA in theatre and why you believe a graduate degree in this field is appropriate for you at this time.
- A current writing sample.
You will also be asked questions about how you would like to interview if your are selected to move forward in the selection process.
Applicants are encouraged to contact Kristin Shupe, Administrative Secretary. (901-678-2523) Kristin will coordinate contact with an appropriate faculty member once we receive your completed graduate application.
Those invited to campus will have a one-hour interview with appropriate faculty in your area of interest, a tour of our facilities, and tickets to an evening performance of our current production.
If you are not able to come to our campus, other opportunities for interviews with members of our faculty are available at various major conference and festivals around the country. A complete list will be available in August.
If you are unable to travel, a formal telephone or skype interview will be scheduled for you with the appropriate faculty members.
Decisions regarding graduate admissions and assignment of graduate assistantships will be made in the spring.