Canvas FAQ for Faculty
How do Faculty log in to Canvas?
When can Faculty start using Canvas?
Where can Faculty go to sign up for training on Canvas?
- Training can be found on the Canvas Event Calender.
Where can Faculty view training guides on Canvas?
Which courses are being imported from D2L to Canvas?
- We are importing all courses offered the last two calendar years from D2L to Canvas (2020 and 2021 – Spring, Summer and Fall terms). Please visit the Canvas LMS Transition page for more information on the timeline for course import/migration.
What happens to course material that isn’t imported over from D2L to Canvas?
- Courses offered from 2019 through 2021 will be archived and accessible via a ticket request for one year.
How do I compare the tools from D2L to Canvas?
- Please see the D2L to Canvas Comparison page.
What are the computer and other technical requirements?
- For best performance, Canvas should be used on the current or first previous major release of Chrome, Firefox, Edge, or Safari. Because it's built using web standards, Canvas runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, or any other device with a modern web browser. Canvas has an app for use on mobile devices Apple or Android.
How do I download my virtual classroom meeting recordings?
- To download your recorded meeting, please visit this guide on downloading your Virtual Classroom recordings.
How do I add a course template homepage in Canvas?
- View this instructional video on how to copying the course home page template.
How do I combine a course in Canvas?
- UM3D has received approval from the Registrar's office to auto-combine cross-listed courses in Canvas. This new process will not require a faculty member to submit a service request for courses to be combined. As long as the courses are cross-listed in Banner(myMemphis). If the courses are not cross-listed in Banner(myMemphis). Your department scheduler should put in tickets to the Registrar’s Office (before the start of the semester) using the Section Maintenance Requests. Note: Some requests to cross-list sections may be subject to review.
What are some examples of sections that can be cross-listed in Banner(myMemphis) for a course combine?
- An undergraduate and undergraduate section – a 3000 and 4000 level
- Regular sections taught with an embedded honors section
- An undergraduate and a graduate section – a 4000 and 6000 level
- A graduate and another graduate section – a 7000 and 8000 level
- Undergraduate, undergraduate honors, and a graduate section
- Different subjects (such as Art and Journalism) that teach similar material, but each department has their own course
- Triangle courses –cross-listed sections in Banner that may be taught at different locations. These students are technically in one class though there are three or more sections.
How do a student with an incomplete access Canvas for Fall 2021?
Students that have received an incomplete grade for the Fall 2021 semester will be auto enrolled into their Fall 2021 course in Canvas. During the grading scheduling period in banner(myMemphis), Faculty will submit a student's incomplete grades into banner (myMemphis) which will provide a report to the Registrar's Office. This student incomplete report will be provided to UM3D to enroll students into Canvas courses for Fall 2021. There will be no need for Faculty to submit a service request for extended course access to UM3D.
How do I export my grades from eCourseware(D2L)?
- View this instructional video on how export the gradebook in eCourseware(D2L).
How do I download student Dropbox submissions in my eCourseware (D2L) course?
- View this instructional video on how export student Dropbox submissions in eCourseware(D2L).