Application to Graduate School
Prerequisites for admission to graduate programs in Chemistry include:
- Satisfactory record of undergraduate coursework in chemistry
- GRE general examination* test scores (or departmental waiver**)
- TOEFL for most international applicants
- Admission to Graduate School at the University of Memphis
* GRE subject exam is not required
** Departmental waivers for GRE scores are rarely granted
Teaching and research assistantships, including a competitive stipend and all tuition and fees, are available only for full-time students (we even pay your parking!). Competition for assistantships is vigorous, and there is no guarantee that all admitted students will receive financial assistance. Once an assistantship has been awarded, it will continue until graduation, so long as you are making satisfactory progress towards your degree.
Please submit the form below to request more information or complete your application.
Do not send application materials to the Graduate Coordinator. These materials must be sent to the Graduate School. Your application can not be processed or considered by the department until your application to the graduate school is complete. Also, note that assistantships can not be approved until you are fully admitted to the Graduate School.
Graduate School Information and Application Materials:
- General Information
- How to Apply to Graduate School
- Admission Requirements for International Students
- Online Application for Admission to Graduate School
- Online Application for International Students
International students must also supply the following:
- TOEFL Score: minimum score of 550 on the paper exam or 210 on the computer-based exam. Normally much higher scores are required to obtain departmental support.
- Evaluation of Credentials: A course-by course evaluation report is required.
- Health Certificate: Within 30 days from the first day of classes, each international student must submit a certificate from a licensed U.S. physician or other qualified U.S. medical authority verifying freedom from tuberculosis.
- Health Insurance: All international students must purchase health insurance before they are allowed to enroll.
Please see the graduate school's website for further information.