Synthetic Organic Chemistry--CHEM 7312/8312
Prerequisites: CHEM 6311 or a high pass on the organic diagnostic examination.
Course Description: Principles of synthesis of complex organic molecules.
Preparatory reading: "Organic Synthesis: The Disconnection Approach" by S. G. Warren (Wiley, 1982).
Textbook and other materials: "Advanced Organic Chemistry, Part B: Reactions and Synthesis" by F. A. Carey and R. J. Sundberg (Kluwer/Plenum, 2001).
Grades: Two in-class tests and a final examination will be given during the semester:
- Test 1: Monday, October 4
- Test 2: Monday, November 15
- Final: Wednesday, December 15, 5:30 - 7:30 pm
Each test will count 20% toward the grade for the course. Another 20% of the grade will be based on a written term paper. The remaining 20% will be based on participation in class discussions of problem assignments and term papers.
Grades are expected to be in the range: A > 85 > B > 70 > C > 60 > D > 50 > F
- No make-up exams will be given. The grade on the final exam will be substituted for one missed test or lower score.
- Reading and problem assignments should be completed before the designated period. Homework problems will not be collected, but will form the basis for class discussion.
- Tardiness and unexcused absence from class are unprofessional behaviors which should be avoided, but attendance will not be graded.
- Reasonable and appropriate accommodations will be made for students who present a memo from Student Disability Services.
Dr. Peter Bridson