Prerequisite to Apply to Graduate (Step 1)
Congratulations! You are now close enough to completing your degree requirements to be included in an upcoming commencement ceremony. Please be aware that participation in the commencement ceremony does not mean that you have been certified or necessarily will be certified for graduation at the University of Memphis this semester. Certification, that is, actual degree conferral, will depend upon your successful fulfillment of all of the requirements for receiving a degree in your field as described in the Undergraduate Catalog of the University of Memphis. Congratulations on your upcoming graduation from the UofM.
Read this information in its entirety. This is Step 1 (REQUIRED). Reading "Prerequisite to Apply to Graduate" is your First Step in the Four-Steps to Graduation process. All students must file for graduation by their deadline and submit any additional forms required by his or her college/school. By reading this required information, you understand that your participation in the commencement ceremony does not mean you will graduate officially; degree conferral depends upon successful completion of all of the degree requirements described in the Undergraduate Catalog and Graduate School and Department Requirements.
NOTICE: Students graduating in the Spring/May Semester each year are subject to a Commencement date change. Please read below for details.
Requirements to Apply to Graduate
Undergraduates - 80 earned hours towards degree completion and at least a 1.95 GPA
Graduates (Masters, Specialists, Doctoral) - 3.00 GPA (Must Apply for Graduation and SUBMIT a CANDIDACY FORM. Additional Details are below)
Law - 55 hours, 1.90 GPA
Additional Requirements listed:
Undergraduate Students: If you have attended another college or university, having transfer credit in UMdegree is essential for the graduation checkout to be accurate. Please notify your advisor if you have missing transfer credits. For further questions about academic coursework, please contact your Graduation Analyst.
Graduate Students: All degree seeking student filing for graduation are required to submit candidacy forms(masters/doctoral/certificate program/EDS Program of Study and Candidacy Form) for processing by the Graduate School. The candidacy form cannot be submitted electronically; therefore, you will be required to obtain signatures from the departmental advisor. Signatures are required from the departmental advisor, graduate studies coordinator, and College Director of Graduate Studies. Candidacy forms received by the College Director of Graduate Studies after the semester deadline will not be approved; therefore, we strongly recommend that you submit the form to your departmental advisor at least one to two weeks prior to the college directors' deadline. Failure to submit this form will delay your graduation.
Law Students: Students must return the Law School Graduation Checklist to the Law Registrar prior to completing the Application to Graduate. For further information about your academic coursework, contact the Law School Registrar.
Apply to graduate process
- After you completely read this entire webpage, return to your myMemphis portal. Click on the My Degree tab and then locate the Commencement channel to access Step 2, Apply to Graduate. Completion of Step 2 and Step 3, Diploma Mailing/Cap and Gown Form, is required of all students who are applying to graduate whether or not you plan to attend the Commencement ceremony. Again, actual ceremony attendance and/or non-attendance information will be collected mid-term of your graduating semester.
- Proceed to STEP 2 – Apply to Graduate REQUIRED – and you are required to select a term, choose the most recent term or the term in which you were last enrolled in your degree-seeking program (degree, majors, concentrations, and/or minors).
- Once your application to graduate has been submitted, any changes must be routed through your Graduation Analyst. You can view your submitted application by selecting "View Application to Graduate".
- STEP 3. Diploma Name, Address and Cap and Gown Form. REQUIRED step by all graduating students whether attending or not. There are NO additional fees. If you are unsure of your cap size, stop by 101 Brister Hall, M-F 8a-430p, for proper measurement.
- STEP 4- FINAL Graduation FORM. REQUIRED This step will be sent to your Memphis email in your FINAL semester.
- You must complete an application to graduate for each degree. For example, select the College of Arts and Sciences' Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in Psychology. Submit the application. Return to Apply to Graduate to select your second degree, complete the application, and submit.
- If you plan to graduate with more than one degree and the degrees will be completed in different terms, you must complete the Diploma Mailing/Cap and Gown Information form for each of the terms (for example, Fall 2013 for Bachelor of Arts and Spring 2014 for Bachelor of Science).
- ATTENTION: Students must be approved for graduation prior to being able to participate and remain on the graduation list. If you are lacking any coursework, lacking any REQUIRED forms, etc., this will affect your approval status and delay your graduation until that coursework is met.
Important News from the Commencement Office
- Undergraduate Diplomas only reflect the degree and any honors distinctions and departmental honors. Majors and Concentrations are available on your transcripts ONLY.
- Some Graduate Diplomas, including Doctoral degrees, list the degree only on the diploma. Majors and Concentrations are available on your transcripts.
- All students in the program are walking based on their prior semester GPA. Any changes in honors will be reflected on the Undergraduate Diploma at the time of certification. Graduate School Diplomas do NOT denote any honors.
- Spring graduation may conflict with the Grizzlies playoff schedule, so there could be a possible date change. If you are graduating in the spring semester, read about it here.
- Second majors and second concentrations do not participate in the Commencement ceremony. They do not walk. They are not listed in the program and they do not receive a second diploma. For example, in May 2011, student received a Bachelor of Professional Studies with a concentration Health Services degree, and returned in May 2012 and added a concentration within Professional Studies. In May 2012, student received a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in English, and returns in December 2012 and gets a second major in History. These are the same degree, so no second diploma, program name or participation.
- Graduate Certificate ONLY students do not participate in the Commencement ceremony. Names are listed in the spring Commencement program only.
- Step 4 - Completion of the Step 4 is required for both students participating in the Commencement ceremony (attending) and for students not planning to participate (not attending). This includes all levels of students: doctoral, masters, specialists, law and undergraduates. Attendance is collected by semester so only the current semester graduating student fills out the form. Ceremony attendance information will be collected by the Commencement Office during the middle of your graduating semester. See below for when you need to fill out your card.
- If you are applying to graduate in spring (May) -The May Commencement always has the possibility of changing dates due to the Grizzlies playoff schedule. Please plan and have guests plan accordingly (Saturday or Sunday event possibility). If you are graduating in the May (spring) Commencement ceremonies, we highly recommend and encourage you to speak to your guests to plan for Commencement weekend, pending further information regarding the Grizzlies NBA Playoff Schedule. We recommend booking any return flights (transportation) either late on Sunday (depending on the graduating students college or school) or Monday morning following Commencement. Please share the spring possible back-up-date information with all guests (immediate and extended family and friends). We appreciate your help in helping us spread the word. Confirmation of actual dates and times will be sent out via the graduating students Memphis email account, on our website and@UoMCommencement (Twitter).
Graduation Term Complete Step 4 --You will receive an email in your FINAL semester. Failure to complete any Step will result in your graduation being cancelled.
- August graduates will be asked to submit Step 4 in June/July.
- December graduates will be asked to submit Step 4 in October.
- May graduates will be asked to submit Step 4 in February.
Call 901.678.5547 with questions.
ATTENTION: Students must be approved for graduation prior to being able to participate and remain on the graduation list. If you are lacking any coursework, lacking any REQUIRED forms, etc., this will affect your approval status and delay your graduation until that coursework is met.
By reading this information, you understand and agree to all of this information and that your participation in the commencement ceremony does not mean that students have graduated; degree conferral depends upon successful completion of all of the degree requirements described in the Undergraduate Catalog