How do I apply? 
Applicants must submit two (2) separate applications. 
For the departmental application, click here
For the University application, click here

What concentrations in graduate study does your department offer?
COMMUNICATION STUDIES: MA and PhD students in Communication Studies work with faculty within and across two working groups: Rhetoric & Media Studies and Health & Relational Communication. Contact Dr. Antonio de Velasco for more information. 

FILM & VIDEO PRODUCTION: MA students concentrating in Film and Video Production take courses with nationally recognized, award-winning filmmakers who specialize in narrative and documentary filmmaking. Contact Prof. David Appleby or Prof. Steven Ross for more information. 

What is your admissions deadline?
The graduate committee considers applications for Fall (MA and PhD) and Spring admission (MA only) throughout the calendar year. Click here for specific application instructions.

Do you offer graduate assistantships?
Yes, we fund (tuition and stipend) typically between 6-8 new MA and PhD each Fall. You must apply early. To be guaranteed consideration for a graduate assistantship you must submit a completed application for Fall admission before the end of the second business week in January of that same year (e.g., for Fall 2018 admission with an assistantship the deadline is January 12, 2018).

For further details on our MA and PhD assistantships click here. We do not typically fund new students who enter in the Spring.

What do you look for in an applicant to your graduate program?
We look for student's who demonstrate readiness for graduate study. To gauge a student's readiness, the Graduate Admissions Committee considers multiple items. These include the applicant's undergraduate and graduate grade point average, GRE scores, statement of purpose, writing samples, relevant employment history, and letters of recommendation. Admission is always contingent on the program's ability to provide faculty expertise appropriate to a student's specific research interests. We encourage all applicants to study our website closely, including faculty and student research profiles. Ideally, you would visit campus before beginning the application process.

Do you require applicants to take the GRE?
Yes. All applicants must submit recent (within the previous five years) GRE scores when the apply to the graduate school.  For information on how reduce the cost of the test, go to

Do you have a minimum GRE score for admission?
We do not have a minimum GRE score, and the average percentile rank of MA and PhD applicants admitted to our program varies year to year. For more information on percentile rankings and the GRE go to the ETS website here.

Do you accept applicants whose prior degree is not in communication?
It depends. If your prior degree is in a discipline related to communication, or your research directly applies to communication, we will consider you for admission. However, you will need to make a strong and explicit case for why you want to pursue graduate study in communication rather than your previous field. Typically, we do not fund students whose prior degree is not in communication.

When are your graduate courses typically offered?
Graduate courses are offered throughout the day, though all of our 7/8000-level courses are offered in the evening. Click here to view our course offerings. 

Do you offer online graduate programs?

How much is tuition?
For the most up to date tuition costs please click here.

What forms are necessary for admission?
Applicants must submit two (2) separate applications: the departmental application and the University application. Applicants who do not complete both will not be considered. Click here for the complete application process.

Who can I contact if I have questions about a specific program?
Contact the Director of Graduate Studies, Dr. Antonio de Velasco, here.

What kind of writing sample do you require for admission?
Your writing sample should showcase your skills at academic argumentation and research. Acceptable submissions include research publications, chapters from a thesis, seminar papers, and the like.

Who should I ask to provide me a letter of recommendation?
You must get letters of recommendation from professors with whom you've done your coursework. Advisors who have directed your research are suitable referees, as are people who have supervised your teaching. You submit contact information for recommenders via the online application system. Recommenders will then be notified via email that you have requested a recommendation as part of the application requirement. Letters of recommendation submitted by the applicant will not be accepted, nor will recommendations from friends and family.

Do MA and PhD students take courses outside of the department?
Yes, they do. All coursework, however, needs to be approved by the student's advisory committee if it is to be applied to the degree.

What are the core requirements for each degree?
Consult the Department of Communication graduate catalog entry. You can also consult the checklists on this page.

Where do your students typically find employment after graduation?
This varies, but we have placed students in an array of fields inside and outside of academia. For information on our alumni check here.

What is living in Memphis like?
Memphis is an eclectic, affordable and stimulating place to study. Click here for more information.

International Students

Do you admit many international students? What's the process?
Yes. In the last ten years, students from countries in Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Asia, and South America have earned their MA or PhD in our programs. The process for prospective international students is the same as for domestic students, however, international students must provide additional information. For information about what documents you will need for your application, please click here.

Are there any additional admissions requirements for international students?
Yes, click here to view the additional requirements. For more information about applying as an international student, click here.

If I am not a United States citizen, can I get an assistantship?
International applicants are offered graduate assistantships on the same basis as U.S. applicants. If you are not a native speaker of English, the University requires evidence of spoken English proficiency to receive departmental assistantships involving classroom duties. Permanent residency/immigrant status or a degree from the U.S. does not exempt one from this requirement. If you are submitting official English proficiency exam scores with your application, they should be sent directly to the Office of Graduate Admissions.

What are the English proficiency requirements?
International applicants are required to submit official English proficiency exam scores. We accept the TOEFL and IELTS. Click here for more information.