Ch33 / Post-911 GI Bill
Election of the Post-911 GI Bill® is irrevocable and may not be changed! More information is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/. GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
Benefits are available to individuals who served on active duty after September 10, 2001 for a period of at least 90 days of aggregate service, or to individuals who have been discharged after 30 days of continuous service for a service-connected disability. Active-duty service time required by graduates of a Service Academy or ROTC does not count toward the 36 months necessary to qualify for 100% of benefits. To be eligible, a veteran must have an honorable discharge or other qualifying discharge (e.g., hardship, condition interfering with duty, etc.).
|Individuals Serving an Aggregate Period of Active Duty after 09/10/01 of:||% of Max Benefit Payable|
|At least 36 months (including service on active duty in entry level & skill training) or received a Purple Heart||100%|
|At least 30 continuous days & discharged due to service-connected disability||100%|
|At least 30 months but < 36 months (excluding service on active duty in entry level & skill training)||90%|
|At least 24 months but < 30 months (excluding service on active duty in entry level & skill training)||80%|
|At least 18 months but < 24 months (excluding service on active duty in entry level & skill training)||70%|
|At least 6 months but < 18 months (excluding service on active duty in entry level & skill training)||60%|
|At least 90 days but < 6 months (excluding service on active duty in entry level & skill training)||50%|
Tuition and Fees
- Students may not receive federal student assistance or other federal funds (excluding any Title IV funds) in conjunction with Ch 33 Post-9/11 tuition and fees.
- Tuition and fees will be assessed to the school after the Veterans Administration Regional Office (VARO) processes the Enrollment Certification (VA form 22-1999) submitted by the school.
Books and Supplies
- A books and supplies stipend will be issued directly to the student after VARO processes the Enrollment Certification (VA form 22-1999) submitted by the school.
- Payments will be based on $41.67 per credit hour, but payments may not exceed $1,000.00 per academic year (August 1 - July 31).
- The books and supplies stipend is not payable to those on active duty.
- The books and supplies stipend is not payable to those enrolled entirely in online or distance learning courses.
BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing)
- The BAH is not payable to those on active duty.
- Students who are enrolled in all online courses will receive 50% of the national average for BAH.
- Other Housing guidelines/restrictions:
- The housing allowance is paid directly to the student at the beginning of each month for training pursued during the previous month.
- The housing allowance will be prorated based on benefit level as determined by length of service (percentage of time served on active duty).
- The housing allowance is payable to those who are training at greater than or more than one-half time.
- The housing allowance is paid whether the student lives at home, in a dorm, with parents, etc.
- The housing allowance is for students in undergraduate or graduate programs and only NCD programs offered at institutes of higher learning.
- The housing allowance is paid as a percentage based on entitlement.
- The housing allowance payable is equal to military E5 with dependents, in the same zip code as the school the student is attending.
- For 2020 the housing allowance for the University of Memphis's zip code (38152) is currently $1683.00; for the Jackson zip code (38301) it is $1380.
College Fund Kicker
- Ch 30 or 1606 kicker is paid in a lump sum direct to the student for each enrollment period.
- Ch 33 College Fund Kicker benefits will be added to the BAH and issued directly to the student based on applicable percentage (length of time served and the education benefit program under which the kicker is payable).
- The College Fund Kicker is not payable to those who are attending classes at 1/2 time or less.
- Only those students eligible for BAH will receive kicker entitlement under Ch 33.
- The College Fund Kicker is not payable to those on active duty. ($600 Buy-up does not transfer over and will not be paid to anyone under Ch 33).
- If a student has used 36 months of Ch 30, then the student has used all the College Fund Kicker.
For Individuals Eligible for MGIB-AD (Ch 30)
- Normally, your months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill will be equal to the number of months you have remaining under the MGIB-AD. However, if you use all of your MGIB-AD benefits, then you may be entitled to a maximum of 12 additional months of benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
For Individuals Eligible for MGIB-SR (Ch 1606) and/or REAP
- Normally, individuals who are eligible for more than one benefit may use a maximum combined total of 48 months of benefits. For example, if you have used 20 months of benefits under REAP, you may be eligible for 28 months of benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill.