When should you start talking with your advisor about your plans after graduation?
- As soon as possible but no later than your Junior year. Always keep your advisor informed!
When should you take the GRE or other graduate exams?
- Junior year to give yourself time to re-take if needed.
When should you think about graduate school?
- As soon as possible. Many graduate programs have specific course requirements you need to complete as an undergraduate. Check out petersons.com/graduate-schools.aspx for suggestions about programs and schools. You should also visit the Career Services Office.
Are you willing to relocate? If so, where?
- Depending on the field you are entering you may need to relocate to other parts of the country ... or the world. Your advisor can be a resource to help you prepare for this next step.
Do you have a good connection with one of your professors? Interview them about options.
- Your professors are a valuable resource for insight into your chosen field. You may want to interview them about options. Conducting "information interviews" with potential employers can also be a useful tool.
What if you don't want to attend graduate school?