Information for Graduate Applicants
See our current Graduate Programs flyer!
As a Computer Science student at the University of Memphis, you'll get the chance to work with top-notch faculty who are dedicated to both teaching and research. We are one of the most highly research-active departments on campus and offer both master's and doctoral degrees, giving us an advantage over other similar departments in the Mid-South. We offer numerous student opportunities, including a Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance and Graduate Certificate in Data Science, an internship program for academic credit, and a variety of student organizations.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
As of Fall 2022, we have 230 MS and 48 PhD students in our program. Most of our doctoral students receive funding from the university.
Our alumni can be found working in industry and academia throughout the world.
The Department has 22 full-time faculty, 18 of whom are tenured or tenure-track. Our faculty include 2 IEEE Fellows, an ACM Distinguished Speaker, and the first state-endowed chair of excellence in computer science in Tennessee.
Faculty have been recognized extensively for their accomplishments. The awards conferred on individual faculty have included the Willard R. Sparks Eminent Faculty Award, Dunavant Professorship, Thomas W. Briggs Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Arts and Sciences Meritorious Faculty Award, and Early Career Research Award.
The Department is involved in three major national research initiatives: the Learner Data Institute with University of Colorado - Boulder, University of Wisconsin - Madison, University of North Carolina, University of Pittsburgh, 5 companies including Carnegie Learning, SoarTech, Aptima, WorkBay, and Gooru, and the Army's GIFT team; the MD2K Center of Excellence with Cornell, Georgia Tech, University of Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, University of Utah, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UMass Amherst, and West Virginia, along with Open mHealth; and Named Data Networking: Next-Phase with Colorado State, University of Arizona, UCLA, UCSD, UIUC, University of Michigan, and Washington University.
With millions in active grants, we have the highest per-capita research funding of any department on campus. We were recently ranked 55th among nationwide CS departments in federally funded research expenditures.
Interdisciplinary Institutes and Centers
- Center for Information Assurance
We are designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education and Research (CAE-CDE, CAE-R) by the NSA/DHS.
- Institute for Intelligent Systems
- Systems Testing Excellence Program
MS and PhD Admission Requirements
- GRE scores are required and are an important factor for admission. (GRE scores are optional but recommended for Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 MS applicants.)
- Letters of recommendation - three for the PhD program, two for the MS program.
- An undergraduate degree in an appropriate discipline with a minimum GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or equivalent preparation.
- A score of at least 87 on TOEFL, 6.5 on IELTS, 59 on PTE, or 110 on Duolingo, for students from countries where English is not the primary language. Students with a lower score may still be admitted if their application is strong in other aspects.
- A statement of purpose.
- One year (8 credit hours) of calculus and one semester (3 credit hours) of linear algebra.
- Satisfactory completion of the following courses (or their equivalents): COMP 1900, 2150, 2700, and 3410.
You may apply online through the admissions portal by visiting: Apply for Graduate Admissions
Students without some of the prerequisites may be admitted on an individual basis, but any deficiency must be corrected within their first semester. None of these prerequisite courses may be used to fulfill graduate degree requirements.
Deadline and Fees
The deadline for applicants wishing to apply for Spring is September 1 (international) / December 1 (domestic), and the deadline for Summer or Fall is March 1 (international) / May 1 (domestic). Though applicants are welcome to apply after this point, applying by these dates provides sufficient time for a decision to be made and the applicant to make the necessary arrangements to enroll in time, if accepted.
Fellowships and Assistantships
- The Peter I. Neathery Scholarship/Fellowship may be awarded competitively each year to up to four qualified graduate students.
- The 2017 DoD Information Assurance Scholarship Program (IASP) offers full-ride funding to qualified students in return for serving the Department of Defense after graduation. U.S. citizenship is required.
- Graduate Assistantships are offered by the Department to a limited number of graduate students. Graduate assistants work a total of 20 hours per week to support departmental teaching, lab, and other needs. The appointment provides a stipend and tuition & fee waiver for the academic year, but it does not include summer support. To be considered for a graduate assistantship, your graduate program application must be received by the end of February for the Fall semester, or the end of November for Spring.
- Research Assistantships are available through research faculty and are supported by external grants. They provide stipends and waivers comparable to those from Graduate Assistantships, but duties depend on specific research projects. Please contact individual faculty for further information.
Memphis offers the best of both worlds: a metropolitan city's convenience without the high cost of living. The city is home to many established organizations including AutoZone, FedEx, International Paper, and St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Memphis was ranked #4 on Glassdoor's 25 Best Cities for Jobs 2020.
For personal life, Memphis is well known for music and barbecue. In addition, Memphis boasts many cultural festivals, professional sports events, live entertainment and performances, museums, and a world-class zoo. Memphis International Airport hosts all major and budget U.S. airlines, and it is the world's second busiest cargo airport due to the FedEx global hub.
The University of Memphis has one of the safest campuses (among the ten largest universities) in Tennessee.