Information for Graduate Applicants
As a Computer Science student at the University of Memphis, you'll get the chance to work with top-notch faculty who are dedicated to both teaching and research. We are one of the most highly research-active departments on campus and offer both master's and doctoral degrees, giving us an advantage over other similar departments in the Mid-South. We offer numerous student opportunities, including graduate certificates in Graduate Certificate in Cybersecurity and Information Assurance and Graduate Certificate in Data Science, an internships program for academic credit, and a variety of student organizations.
For more information, please contact Lyndsey Rush at email@example.com.
As of Fall 2018, we have 41 M.S. and 52 Ph.D. students in our program. 54% of M.S. students are funded; of those, 68% are funded directly by the Department, 14% are supported by research grants, and 18% receive funding from other departments. 84% of Ph.D. students are funded; of those, 46% are funded directly by the Department, 36% are supported by research grants, and 18% receive funding from other departments.
Our alumni can be found working in industry and academia throughout the world.
The Department has 19 full-time faculty, 15 of whom are tenured or tenure-track. Our faculty include 2 IEEE Fellows, an ACM Distinguished Speaker, and the first state-endowed Prof. Kumar Named Chair of Excellence in Tennessee.
Faculty have been recognized extensively for their accomplishments. The awards conferred on individual faculty have included the Willard R. Sparks Eminent Faculty Award, Dunavant Professorship, Thomas W. Briggs Foundation Excellence in Teaching Award, College of Arts and Sciences Meritorious Faculty Award, and Early Career Research Award.
The Department is involved in two major national research initiatives: the MD2K Center of Excellence with Cornell, Georgia Tech, University of Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State, University of Utah, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, UMass Amherst, and West Virginia, along with Open mHealth; and Named Data Networking: Next-Phase with Colorado State, University of Arizona, UCLA, UCSD, UIUC, University of Michigan, and Washington University.
With millions in active grants, we have the highest per-capita research funding of any department on campus. We were recently ranked 55th among nationwide CS departments in federally funded research expenditures.
Interdisciplinary Institutes and Centers
- Center for Information Assurance
We are designated as a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education and Research (CAE-CDE, CAE-R) by the NSA/DHS.
- Institute for Intelligent Systems
- Systems Testing Excellence Program
M.S. and Ph.D. Admission Requirements
- GRE scores are required and are an important factor for admission.
- Letters of recommendation - three for the Ph.D. program, two for the M.S. program.
- An undergraduate degree in an appropriate discipline with a minimum GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or equivalent preparation.
- A score of at least 550 on the paper-based TOEFL, 79 on the internet-based TOEFL, or 6 on IELTS (for students whose native language is not English).
- A statement of purpose.
You may apply online through the admissions portal by visiting: Apply for Graduate Admissions
- One year (8 credit hours) of calculus and one semester (3 credit hours) of linear algebra. (Students without the calculus and/or linear algebra prerequisites will be considered on an individual basis and, if admitted, must correct the deficiencies within the first semester.)
- Satisfactory completion of the following courses (or their equivalents): COMP 1900, 2150, 3410, and 2700. (None of these courses may be used to fulfill graduate degree requirements.)
Deadline and Fees
The deadline for applicants wishing to apply for Spring is September 1 (international) / December 1 (domestic), and the deadline for Summer or Fall is March 1 (international) / May 1 (domestic). Though applicants are welcome to apply after this point, applying by these dates provides sufficient time for a decision to be made and the applicant to make the necessary arrangements to enroll in time, if accepted.
Fellowships and Assistantships
- The Peter I. Neathery Scholarship/Fellowship may be awarded competitively each year to up to four qualified graduate students.
- The 2017 DoD Information Assurance Scholarship Program (IASP) offers full-ride funding to qualified students in return for serving the Department of Defense after graduation. U.S. citizenship is required.
- Graduate Assistantships are offered by the Department to a limited number of graduate students. Graduate assistants work a total of 20 hours per week to support departmental teaching, lab, and other needs. The appointment provides a stipend and tuition & fee waiver for the academic year, but it does not include summer support. To be considered for a graduate assistantship, your graduate program application must be received by the end of February for the Fall semester, or the end of November for Spring.
- Research Assistantships are available through research faculty and are supported by external grants. They provide stipends and waivers comparable to those from Graduate Assistantships, but duties depend on specific research projects. Please contact individual faculty for further information.
Memphis offers the best of both worlds: a metropolitan city's convenience without the high cost of living. The city is home to many established organizations including AutoZone, FedEx, International Paper, and St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Memphis was ranked #7 on Glassdoor's 25 Best Cities for Jobs 2018.
For personal life, Memphis is well known for music and barbecue. In addition, Memphis boasts many cultural festivals, professional sports events, live entertainment and performances, museums, and a world-class zoo. Memphis International Airport hosts all major and budget U.S. airlines, and it is the world's second busiest cargo airport due to the FedEx global hub.
The University of Memphis has one of the safest campuses (among the ten largest universities) in Tennessee.