Graduation & Commencement

How do I apply to graduate?

Two semesters before graduation, meet with your advisor to ensure you are not missing any classes. BEFORE meeting with your advisor you MUST:

  • Login to my.memphis.edu.
  • Click on My Degree tab.
  • Complete step 2 — Apply to Graduate.

This will ask you to select the most recent term enrolled.  Later you will select your term to graduate.  Once you apply, you will receive an email from the graduation analyst confirming you have been approved.

  • Complete step 3 — Diploma/Cap and Gown Mailing Order Form.

If you are planning to participate in commencement, go to the Commencement page to see the steps necessary for inclusion in the program and receiving your diploma.

Guidelines for Graduation:

To receive a Bachelor of Science degree from the Herff College of Engineering, a number of requirements must be met:

  • General Education (GenEd) requirements must be satisfied.

  • Program Requirements for your particular major must be satisfied.

  • Grade Point requirements must be satisfied. In order to graduate from the University, you must have a minimum 2.00 grade point average (overall and UofM GPAs).

  • Residency Requirements, both University and College, must be met. A student will satisfy residence requirements for graduation by earning at least twenty-five (25) percent of credit hours required for the degree at the University of Memphis. At least thirty (30) of the final sixty (60) hours required for the degree must be completed at the University of Memphis as upper division credit in the Herff College of Engineering. A student transferring credits from a two-year college or institution must complete, as a requirement for the baccalaureate degree, a minimum of sixty semester hours in an accredited senior institution.

  • Testing may be required at either the University, College, or program level. Check with your advisor and/or graduation analyst to determine if there are any testing requirements that you need to meet in order to graduate.

  • File Your Intent to Graduate! Graduation is not automatic and you must file your intent to graduate by the deadlines. Check the dates and deadlines calendar for the filing deadline for your intended semester of graduation. Please read the Apply to Graduate page from the Commencement Office. You also need to see your advisor to file your College of Engineering Degree Application.

  • Check the Commencement Office web site to fill out commencement attendance cards, diploma mailing cards, check commencement program proofs, get cap and gown information, etc.

  • Pay Any Outstanding Fees!!! If you have any outstanding financial obligations to the University, you will not receive your diploma and you will not be able to request transcripts.