1L BOOK INFORMATION
Memphis Law has a bookstore on site where students can purchase law school books. You may also purchase books from the law school bookstore online or from an outside vendor, if you wish.
Information about 1L books will be distributed via the Memphis Law Guide after the incoming 1Ls are registered for classes.
Incoming 1Ls should not purchase any books until 1Ls are registered and assigned to a section.
Once you are registered and have been assigned to a section, you order your books on the law school bookstore website or in the store.
To purchase books online:
- Go to the law school bookstore website.
- Move mouse to "Course Materials & Textbooks"
- Select "Find Course Materials"
- Select the correct term, for example, Fall 2023
- Select LAW for the department
- Select the Course Number
- Select the Section
- Select the books you want to purchase and add them to your cart
- Select an option to receive your books
- Select your method of payment
- BAPP is not available for online purchases.
- To use BAPP, you must make your purchase in the bookstore in-person and have an active Campus ID card with you to place the order.
- See below for more information on BAPP.
Renting versus Buying Books
Most 1L books are used both semesters. You save no money by renting books; therefore, you should buy them.
Students should not purchase electronic copies of law school books. Students who have only electronic versions of textbooks risk not being able to use them during open-book exams due to restrictions with the exam software used on exams.
BAPP (Bookstore Advanced Payment Plan)
Students can use excess loan money to purchase books in-person at the law school bookstore before federal aid is officially released via the Bookstore Advanced Payment Plan.
BAPP is ONLY available to law students from Friday July 21, 2023, at 10:00 a.m., through Friday, August 4, at 4:30 p.m. BAPP closes exactly at 4:30 p.m., so if you plan to use it, please do so by then. Otherwise, you will have to wait until your financial aid money is released to purchase your books using your excess financial aid money.
- BAPP Requirements:
- You must be registered for classes.
- You must have an active Campus ID card. (Instructions available in the Memphis Law Guide).
- Once your card is activated, you can use BAPP to purchase your books in the bookstore in person. You will need to present your Campus ID to be able to purchase and pick up your books using BAPP.
- Do not select any online BAPP options, as this is no longer permitted by the university.