Welcome! We look forward to your contributions to the Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music. The following information details the beginning stages of the hiring process with information on hiring, required forms, payment, contracts, etc. Hopefully you will find the information useful as you begin.
- Complete WorkforUM application.
- Upon submission of application, email Business Manager, Theresa Winkelmann at email@example.com, so Faculty Administrative Services can be notified to begin the hiring process.
- A background check will be initiated by Faculty Administrative Services and the applicant will receive an email from Data Facts, Inc. to run the background check.
- Once the background check is complete, Faculty Administrative Services will load the applicant in Banner and create a U number and U of M email address. A letter with this information will be emailed to the applicant.
- Upon receipt of the letter from Faculty Administrative Services, the Business Officer will create the e-contract(s) for the course(s) the adjunct will be teaching.
- The adjunct will receive an email stating there is an e-contract awaiting their approval. These contracts will be sent to the U of M email address only and cannot be sent to any personal email accounts.The adjunct will click on the link in the email, which will take them to the e-contract to accept. The e-contract will include total payment amount, bi-weekly payment amount, and number of students being taught (if applied lessons).
The following forms must be submitted before the first day of class.
- I-9 (All employees that need to complete an I-9 form should contact the HR Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org to request the electronic link.)
- W-2 (email completed form to email@example.com)
- Direct Deposit
- Faculty or Area Coordinator will need to approve course syllabus. A sample can be found here.
- It may take a week or so for new hires to be finalized in Banner and in the meantime, contact your supervisor for student names and emails.
- Faculty or Area Coorindators will evaluate part-time faculty once during the academic year. Once submitted, those evaluation forms will be emailed to both the faculty evaluator and part-time faculty member.
Adjunct teachers are assigned students as needed by the Area Coordinator. The Coordinator will provide to the adjunct the names, emails and registration permission for each assigned students to take applied lesson. The adjunct teacher is free to create their own schedule guided by the students' availability and an available room assignment from the Scheduling Coordinator. During Covid, all voice lessons are done online via Zoom video and CleanFeed audio. Students will take weekly 60 minutes lessons. Music minors and scholarship students will take 30 minute lessons weekly. More information will be provided by the Area Coordinator or Supervisor.
Every student taking lessons is required to perform an end-of-the-semester Jury. Juries are scheduled through the Jury System page. During Covid, juries are done by submitting unpublished YouTube links. Repertoire will be determined by the adjunct teacher and meet semester degree requirements. The Area Coordinator or Supervisor will go over suggested repertoire and what will be expected of students with the Adjunct.
- The School of Music primarily communicates through U of M email and it's important to check this email very often.
- To request and reserve a classroom, contact the Scheduling Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Find more information on how to reserve a space using the virtual VEMS system see our Room Scheduling page.
When and how will I get paid? For fall semester, you will be paid bi-weekly starting in September and will receive a total of 6 paychecks. For spring semester, you will be paid bi-weekly starting in February and will receive a total of 6 paychecks. Before your very first paycheck, you will receive an email with your paystub. It will tell you if the first paycheck is a physical check that has to be picked up in the Payroll office, otherwise, it will be submitted to your bank via direct deposit.
Do I have to fill out all this paperwork every time I agree to teach?
Once you have submitted the I-9, W-4 and direct deposit, you do not have to resubmit each semester. So long as there is not a break in service of more than 2 years, you can be issued a new e-contract each subsequent semester after your initial hiring.
Where can I park? For visitor parking, the campus has a few parking garages and meter parking spaces. For general parking permits and a campus map, that information can be found on the Parking and Transportation Services page.
Who do I contact with questions?
For hiring/payroll questions, contact Theresa Winkelmann, email@example.com.
For course questions, contact Kara Keen, firstname.lastname@example.org, or the faculty member who offered you employment.