Q: Can I transfer credits into the MSW program?

A: It is possible to transfer up to 24 hours of course credit into the MSW program. Courses taken in another accredited or in candidacy MSW program may be transferred as required foundation courses. Courses taken in a graduate program in a related field to social work may transfer in as elective hours. Transfer of credit hours is subject to approval by the student's advisor and the director of the MSW program. Students seeking to transfer credits should work closely with their academic advisor.

Q: Can I receive credits by examination?

A: Students may receive credit by examination for up to 9 credit hours. Students seeking credit by examination should review the requirements and follow the procedures in the MSW student manual and the Graduate Catalog. Credit by examination may only be given in the following eight courses: SWRK 7001, SWRK 7002, SWRK 7003, SWRK 7005, SWRK 7021, SWRK 7022, SWRK 7025, and SWRK 7030. For the credit by examination form, click here.

Q: Is the program accredited?

A: The MSW program at University of Memphis received initial accreditation from the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) in February 2014. You may find the program listed in the directory of accredited programs here.

Q: Can I use work/life experience in lieu of academic credit?

A: No. The University of Memphis Master of Social Work program does NOT give credit for prior life experience or for prior work experience. In addition, credit may not be given for continuing education hours. This University of Memphis MSW program follows this policy strictly to be in compliance with Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accreditation standards.

Q: What do I do if I'm applying for the MSW program and my GPA is low?

A: There is not a minimum GPA required for the program. The admissions committee considers the total application. The committee gives more weight to the last 60 of course credit taken including credit hours taken in other graduate programs.

Q: Do I have to take an entrance exam to be admitted to the MSW program?

A: Yes. Applicants may take either the GRE or the Praxis CORE Writing Test.

Q: How do I register for an entrance exam?

A: Registration packets for the GRE/Praxis may be picked up on campus at Graduate Admissions, FedEx Institute of Technology Building, Suite 201, or at the Testing Center, 112 Brister Hall. Contact the University of Memphis Testing Center at 901-678-2428 for more information. You can also take the test by computer by contacting the UofM ETS Computer-Based Testing at 901-678-1457. If you are outside the Memphis area, check the ETS website, http://www.ets.org for test schedule and locations.

Q: Is there a minimum score on the entrance exam?

A: There is no minimum required score. The committee only looks at the writing scores.

Q: How many credit hours is the program?

A: Full time and extended study students are required to complete a minimum of 60 semester hours: 30 hours in the foundation curriculum and 30 hours in the concentration curriculum. 6 of the 30 concentration hours are electives. Refer to the MSW Student Handbook for more information.

Q: Does the MSW program offer Advanced Standing?

A: Advanced Standing (3 semesters of study; 37 credit hours) is an accelerated program for students who have a BA in social work, a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 overall and 3.3 in social work courses. Students interested in the Advanced Standing Program must apply to the program within five years of graduation from an accredited BA/BSW program.