Welcome to the Secondary Education Program at the University of Memphis. We are a part of the Instruction and Curriculum Leadership Department (ICL) in the College of Education. We offer both an Undergraduate (BSEd) and Graduate (MAT) Secondary Education degree.
About our BSEd Secondary Education Program:
The ICL Department offers a Integrative Studies, Secondary Math Concentration degree: The objectives for a B.S.Ed. in Integrative Studies/Secondary Math are: (a) to understand how learning occurs, how students construct knowledge and acquire skills, and knows how to provided learning opportunities that support their intellectual, social, and personal development; (b) preparing, through intensive clinical experiences, highly qualified math teachers grades 6-12.
In this program, you will:
- Gain a deeper understanding of the mathematics you will teach
- Work collaboratively with mathematics and education faculty
- Learn how to teach effectively in urban schools
- Spend a full year “in residence” in a local school (observing, tutoring, and teaching)
- Earn a teaching license upon successful completion of the program
For more information
About our MAT Secondary Education Program:
This course of study leads to initial certification in Secondary Education (6-12). The program prepares students to educate adolescents in a group setting. The program includes coursework in adolescent development, learning theory, and social foundations of education and teaching methods. Field hours are associated with this program.