Foundations of Bioorganic Chemistry--CHEM 3511
Students to be Served: This course is required for Chemistry, Biology, and Dietetics majors, and will also be taken by students preparing for medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, and related health professions.
- CHEM 3310 with a grade of at least C-
Description: Systematic study of structure of biomolecules, including amino acids, proteins, carbohydrates,
lipids and nucleic acids; emphasis on functional consequences.
Three lecture hours per week
Textbooks and other materials:
- Paula Y. Bruice, Organic Chemistry, 5th ed. (recommended)
- D. L. Nelson, M. M. Cox, Lehninger's Principles of Biochemistry, 4th ed. (recommended)
- Sapling Online Homework: http://www.saplinglearning.com/ibiscms/login/index.php (required)
Instructions for registration will be available prior to the beginning of the semester.
Course Objectives: To provide students with an in-depth conceptual and practical understanding of the structures, properties, and function of biological macromolecules; to provide students with appropriate background for advanced courses in biochemistry.
Course Outline: (The exact order of topics may vary by instructor.)
- Acid/base chemistry
- Amino acids/peptide bond
- Protein structure (primary, secondary, tertiary, quaternary)
- Enzyme kinetics and reaction energetics
- Mono- and disaccharides
- Complex carbohydrates
- Chemical potential energy changes during glycolysis
- Simple lipids and phospholipids
- RNA, DNA and protein synthesis
Grades: Students must complete a combination of examinations, computational exercises, homework and writing assignments that will be determined by individual instructors. Every section will include at least one examination prior to the drop deadline. Grades will be assigned on the basis of all course requirements by the instructor of record.
- Electronic devices such as cell phones and pagers should be turned off in the classroom.
- Reasonable and appropriate accommodations will be made for students who present a memo from Student Disability Services.