Cap and Gown Pick-up
Picking up your cap and gown will occur 1-2 days prior to YOUR Commencement ceremony.
wHAT DO i NEED?
In order to pick up your cap and gown, you will need to be approved for graduation, name must be in the Commencement program, and you must have completed Step 4 (The Attendance/Non-Attendance Form).
- Step 4 Confirmation Page (screenshot confirmation on your mobile device).
- During cap and gown pick up, you will also receive your pronouncer card.
- Graduate Students do not receive academic honors cords but can wear cords from their undergraduate study.
- Pronouncer cards are received when you pick up your cap and gown.
- All students participating in the event must have a pronouncer card in order to participate.
- Do NOT lose or leave your pronouncer card. You will be unable to participate if you do not bring this card.
- Use the number on your pronouncer card to line yourself up when you arrive and find your college lineup.
- Hold on to the card throughout the event. (Good tip: Wear an outfit with pockets.)
- You will hand the card to the Pronouncer Assistant who will use the card to say your name during your graduation moment.
Instructions for Wearing Regalia Hood (Doctoral, Specialist, Master and Law)
- To insure proper fit of your hood, we suggest that men wear a dress shirt and women wear a blouse with buttons or a suit.
- Hold the hood in your hand by the velvet at the narrowest point. The loop should be hanging straight down. Grasp the loop in your right hand and place the hood over your head so the loop continues to hang straight down in front of your neck.
- Fasten the loop over a button on your shirt/blouse or jacket, or you may pin it in place. This will prevent the hood from pressing on your throat.
- Midway down the back of the hood you will find another satin cord and loop. Fasten this loop around the button on the inside of the hood to prevent the hood from falling off your shoulders. This may require the assistance of another person.
- Be sure to have someone "fluff" the back of the hood just below the button, by turning the velvet side underneath to expose the satin colors on the inside.
When/Where do I return my cap and gown?
- Gowns and hoods are rentals and MUST be returned in the same way received.
- All items should be returned after Commencement to the vendor truck (located downstairs behind the stage)
- If you wish to keep your regalia (cap, gown and hood) to take pictures, you have ONE
week to return it to the Commencement Office, 101 Brister Hall, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm
- There is a tag to identify each gown and hat.
Unable to attend distribution day
If you are unable to pick up your cap and gown or if you are not attending Commencement, see more information below:
- Send a Designee
- If you are unable to pick up your cap and gown, you can send a designee on your behalf. You must contact the Commencement Office via email with your name, name of designee and stating permission. The designee must bring a photo ID to pick up your items.
- Not Attending
- If you are not attending Commencement, you do not need your cap and gown, but you can borrow it to take pictures and return it one week to 101 Brister Hall.