Commencement Conduct Guidelines
Commencement is a time to celebrate and enjoy your achievement. However, it is also ceremonial. You are asked to honor the spirit of this important occasion by conducting yourself in a manner that is respectful of your guests, the guests of others, of your fellow graduates, and of you.
By participating in The University of Memphis Commencement ceremony (in-person or online) you agree to observe the following guidelines:
- Be respectful of other graduates and the audience by staying in your seat before and after you receive your diploma and until those on the Commencement platform exit during the recessional.
- Messages and photos must be appropriate and presentable to a large group of people. Messages and photos that are deemed inappropriate or offensive, will be removed by staff.
- Inappropriate behavior for this occasion includes, but is not limited to: taking of selfies while on the Commencement platform, pranks, stepping or dancing of any kind, and/or vocal or visual disruptions.
- Use of any noise maker, including whistles and air horns is strictly prohibited.
- Cell phones are permitted, but out of courtesy for other participants, students should silence their phone, not use them during the formal speaking portions of the ceremony, and should not use them while receiving their diploma on stage.
- The use and/or possession of alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- For your safety and the safety of others, please do not toss any objects in the air during the ceremony.
- All provisions of the University of Memphis Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities apply to Commencement ceremonies.
- All participants must stay for the duration of the event and ask guests to remain to ensure each student's name is heard when called.
- Please cheer respectfully and asks guests to do the same to ensure each student's name is heard when called.
- The University expects to conduct a meaningful, dignified ceremony. Disorderly and/or disruptive conduct, including, but not limited to the examples provided above, may be grounds for immediate ejection, and may result in your diploma and/or transcript being retained by the University.
- Students are only allowed to participate one time for the degree they are seeking.
If you have any questions about filling this online form please contact the Commencement Office by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 901.678.5547.