Communication majors are encouraged to enhance their educational experience and to develop their professional skills through internships with government agencies, non-profit organizations, private businesses, film companies, and media firms. Communication majors may earn COMM credit for their internship experience, by registering for COMM 4802.
Comm Studies Internship Director: Dr. Craig Stewart
Film & Video Production Internship Director: Prof. Roxie Gee
How Do I Find An Internship?
Search for internship opportunties and make appointments with University of Memphis Career Services.
Internship Opportunities for Communication Majors
The following organizations offer internships that Communication majors may apply to. These links are for informational purposes.
National Civil Rights Museum
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Tennessee Legislative Internship Program
Vitalant Community Engagement Internship
Internship Description (pdf)
Application Link (find 'Memphis' under Location)
Requirements to register for COMM 4802
- Junior or Senior standing (i.e., at least 60 credit hours completed before the beginning of the internship)
- At least 15 COMM hours completed (or permission of Faculty Director)
- At least a 3.0 GPA in COMM (or permission of Faculty Director)
- Film & Video Production internships: completed COMM 3823 and COMM 3824
- Online application completed by the last day of classes the semester prior to the beginning of the internship.
- Letter or email from the internship supervisor confirming that the student has obtained the internship and the general scope of the internship.
- The period of the internship should correspond with an academic semester (Fall, Spring, or Summer).
- Each credit hour of COMM 4802 is equivalent to 50 work hours (3 credit hours equals 150 work hours, or 10 hours per week over the course of a 15-week semester).
Complete the online application form
Requirements to complete COMM 4802
Unless otherwise instructed by your faculty director, these forms should be uploaded to Canvas:
- Time logs specifying hours worked and tasks completed, signed by both the student and the internship supervisor, submitted both at mid-term and at the end-of-semester.
- Student self-assessment, signed by both the student and the internship supervisor, submitted at mid-term.
- Samples of work completed (as appropriate) submitted at mid-term and end of semester.
- Final student self-evaluation, submitted at end-of-semester.
- Final supervisor evaluation, submitted at end-of-semester (emailed directly to faculty director).
COMM 4802 is graded as S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory). The grade will be based on the faculty director's evaluation of the time logs, samples of work performed, the student's self-evaluations, and the supervisor's final evaluation.