9.0 Business Office Procedures

9.1 Reimbursements, Budgets, & P-cards

If you do not have a specific budget under your area of responsibility and you need to make small purchases (under $50) in order to perform your job, you may make the purchase and turn in a receipt to the Business Officer for reimbursement. For larger purchases or if your area would like to request additional funding beyond its budget allocation for a specific purpose, please discuss your needs with the Director. If you can make an approved purchase by phone or via the internet, see the Business Officer to see if the School can charge it directly to a University account or purchasing card. If you make the purchase yourself, take your receipt(s) to the Business Officer for reimbursement. University policy prohibits the reimbursement of sales tax on most items. Whenever possible, discuss such purchases with the Business Officer in advance; a Certificate of Exemption (tax exempt form) may be provided to you.

9.1a. Area & Ensemble Budgets

Some School of Music areas or ensembles have annual budgets allocated for operational or educational purposes.

  • No purchase should be made without the approval of the Area Coordinator
  • Area and Ensemble budgets are needed when there is a legitimate, recurring cost to maintaining the operational or educational effectiveness of an area or ensemble. Funds should not be used for student travel or other non-essential purposes.
  • Faculty members may not submit orders to vendors without prior authorization from the Business Officer. Once a purchase has been authorized faculty members should work with the Music Business Manager to determine the appropriate purchasing procedures.

9.1b. Reimbursements

General reimbursements should be approved by the School of Music Business Officer before the purchase is made. In order to be reimbursed for meals (e.g. dinner with a search candidate), the request must have an original itemized receipt or invoice and the expenditure must conform to University policies (e.g., the amount expended should be reasonable and cannot include the purchase of alcoholic beverages).

9.1c. Purchasing Cards (P-cards)

The University of Memphis Purchasing Card (P-card) Program has been established to provide University employees with a convenient means to make legitimate business purchases and, at the same time, reduce the costs associated with initiating and paying for those purchases. Individual employees in the School with bona fide business needs for a p-card may discuss their business purpose with the Director.

Employees who have been approved for a University issued P-card must adhere to all University guidelines and procedures as documented on the Procurement and Contract Services website. Additional School of Music procedures are listed below.

  • All applicable receipts must be uploaded to the online US Bank system no later than the 30th of each month
  • All purchases shall have a clear explanation for the business purpose documented in the online system

9.2 Guest Artist Contracts

If a guest artist (or anyone who will be paid as an independent contractor) is not a U.S. citizen, the University is required to withhold 30% of any fee or honorarium for tax purposes unless there is a tax treaty between the U.S. and the guest's country and the guest has a U.S. social security number or tax identification number. Depending on the circumstances, there may be other options, so discuss payments to international guests with the Business Officer before making final arrangements with the guest. International guests who will ultimately receive a check from the University are required to complete the Payment to Individual or Contractor form in its entirety, including the section "Contractor Information" which includes information about the individual's passport, country of citizenship, etc., and a list of all entry and exit dates, immigration status/Visa type, and primary purpose of visit on a separate sheet of paper. Each visit must be listed. Additionally, the Business Officer must receive a copy of their visa, and a copy of the passport (photo page as well as all US entry and exit stamps).

9.3 Employing Others

Other than full-time School of Music faculty and staff, anyone paid by the University for working in the School of Music must go through the Business Officer before any work can be done. This includes independent contractors, guest artists, student workers, graduate assistants from other departments, School of Music graduate assistants working beyond their twenty-hour assignments, faculty and staff from other departments, and temporary employees. The person's relationship to the University will determine if they are eligible to work for the School of Music and how the School will pay them. Some relationships require several approvals before work begins. In order to avoid any problems and to ensure the University pays people in a timely manner, please discuss any employment situation with the Business Officer well in advance (preferably at least 30 days when possible).

9.3a. Part-time Faculty Appointments

Area Coordinators should be familiar with all part-time faculty guidelines below when requesting part-time faculty appointments for their Area. The Part-time Faculty Welcome Guide is sent to all new part-time hires.

  • Approval timeline - Part-time faculty requests are made mid-semester when the course schedule for the upcoming semester is shared (see 3.11 Course Scheduling). At this time, Area Coordinators will document any part-time faculty requests for their area. Requests are then reviewed by the Associate Director for Student Services & Administration, the Director, and the Dean's Office. Area Coordinators are responsible for approving part-time faculty syllabi, providing course rosters, textbooks, and other pertinent information at least one month in advance of the beginning of the semester.
  • Academic credentials - SACS, the University's accrediting body, requires that "Faculty teaching baccalaureate (undergraduate) degree courses: must have a doctoral or a master's degree in the teaching discipline or a master's degree with a concentration in the teaching discipline - minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline."Exceptions to these criteria can be requested when potential faculty members have special skills that will materially contribute to the students' educational experiences.
  • Graduate courses - Faculty teaching graduate and post-baccalaureate courses must receive Graduate Faculty Status (GFS) by the end of the first (1st) teaching semester. If the appointee does not have GFS, contact the CCFA Associate Dean for more information on how part-time faculty can apply. Departments can confirm an appointee has GFS by checking the Graduate School's Graduate Faculty Members page for the School of Music.
  • Teaching load - Part-time instructors are allowed to teach up to six (6) credit hours per semester. This is the equivalent of two (2) three-credit courses or ten (10) one-hour applied lessons. Any additional hours beyond this require special approval. A part-time faculty appointment may have only one exception approved during an academic year which consists of Fall, Spring, and Summer; and consecutive semester requests for more than six (6) credit hours will not be considered. Example: Summer of one academic year and then Fall of the next academic year would not be allowed. Exceptions to the number of courses taught are limited to no more than eleven (11) credit hours in a semester.

9.4 Signed Contracts/Agreements

Contracts or Agreements that require a signed University approved agreement, regardless of the dollar amount, must be submitted to Procurement and Contract Services for review and approval. No Employee in the School of Music is authorized to sign any agreement on behalf of the University. 


  • Rental of music through companies such as Boosey and Hawkes.
  • Commissioning agreements
  • Facilities Use Agreements (such as Christ United Methodist Church or GPAC)

Processing lead time requirements:

  • Any type of agreement that requires a University signature must be routed through the Business Office with a minimum of thirty (30) days to review and obtain all required signatures.
  • Any items that require the Dean's review and signature should be routed through the Business Office with a minimum of ten (10) business days for review and to obtain required signature(s).
  • Any items that require the Director's review and signature should be routed through the Business Office with a minimum of five (5) business days for review and to obtain required signature(s).
  • Any items that require the Business Officer's review and signature should be routed through the Business Office with a minimum of two (2) business days for review and signature.
  • Every effort will be made to expedite all requests, but same day review/processing cannot be guaranteed.

University purchasing cards (P-cards) may not be used for any purchases (typically online) that require you to authorize that you "agree to terms and conditions." See appendix for list of impermissible clauses for any university contracts or agreements.

9.5 Accessing Benefits, Direct Deposit, & Financial Information

You can access employment details such as benefits, direct deposit and pay stub information, via the University of Memphis portal. Click the mymemphis tab and use the username and password used for accessing university email and iAM (identity management website). In the mymemphis portal, click on the Employee tab. Under the Employee tab you will find a channel that contains benefits, direct deposit and pay stub information. For trouble accessing your account information, contact the UMTech Service Desk (901) 678-8888.

9.6 Fundraising

All fundraising and development efforts must be coordinated through the CCFA Director of Development. The Director of the School will work with the Dean and the Director of Development to coordinate efforts with the University's Development Office. Please do not approach any current or prospective donors on your own. If you receive an inquiry about how to support/donate, thank the person and let them know that you will contact the Director of Development to follow up with them about their interest.